Used by arborists, fishermen, firefighters, climbers, military and boy and girl scouts the world over, Knots 3D will quickly teach you how to tie even the most difficult knot. With more than 125 knots, Knots 3D will be your go-to reference! Grab some rope and have fun!
- Included in Scouting Magazine's "Ultimate List of Scouting Apps"
- Featured in iOS Today, GQ Magazine, Boating Magazine, Guy Harvey Magazine and many other well known print and online and media.
- #1 Reference App in 75 Countries
Have you ever wondered what a knot looks like rotated 40° or maybe 90°? Or maybe you want to see what a Bowline knot or Constrictor knot looks like from the back? Use your finger to spin the knot and see how it looks from any angle in 3D!
Choose from 127 different knots and see how they're tied in incredible detail. Watch the knot draw itself or use your finger to tie and untie the knot. Its easy to see where the virtual rope goes in and out and around. (Something about a rabbit and a hole and a tree right? ) Zoom in on the knot to get a closer look or flip it around for another perspective. Can your old school knot app do that?!
Product Features and Functions
- Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod Touch (Universal App)
- High res graphics with photo-realistic rope textures
- Learn to tie 127 unique knots
- Watch knots tie themselves and pause or adjust the speed of the animation at any time
- Rotate knots in 360 degree, 3D views to study them from any angle
- Zoom in on a knot to see it in greater detail
- Interact with the knot on screen via multi-touch gestures such as pinch-to-zoom and swipe to tie/untie.
- Browse knots by category or search by name
- Completely self contained -- No internet required!
- 100% localized for over a dozen languages: English, Chinese, Danish, Dutch, Finnish, French, German, Hebrew, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Norwegian, Polish, Portuguese, Russian, Spanish, Swedish and Turkish!
Each 3D knot has detailed reference information including tying pointers, strength and reliability, structural info, and Ashley reference numbers (ABoK) and occasionally the history behind the knot.
The knots are arranged by both Category (Boating, Climbing, Fishing, Scouting, etc) and Type (Bend, Loop, Stopper, etc). If you find a knot you like or want to come back to later, add it to your Favorites list for quick reference.
Anchor Hitch, Ashley’s Bend, Blood Knot, Bowline, Bowline on a Bight, Buntline Hitch, Carrick Bend, Cats Paw, Clinch Knot (Improved), Clove Hitch, Constrictor Knot, Larks Head Hitch, Double Sheet Bend, Figure 8 Knot, Figure 8 Bend, Figure 8 Loop, Fisherman’s Eye, Fisherman’s Knot, Jar Sling Knot, Loop Knot, Overhand Knot, Perfection Loop, Rolling Hitch, Round Turn & Two Half Hitches, Running Bowline, Square Knot (Reef Knot), Sheepshank, Sheet Bend, Stevedore’s Knot, Surgeon’s Knot, Surgeon’s Loop, Taut Line Hitch, Timber Hitch, Water Knot, Alpine Butterfly, Trucker's Hitch, Prusik Hitch, Rapala Knot, San Diego Jam, Diagonal Lashing, Double Coin Knot, Mooring Hitch, Round Lashing, Shear Lashing, Square Lashing, Trefoil Knot, Jury Mast Knot, Monkey's Fist, Turk's Head and many more!
Complete Knot List at:
KNOTS 3D REVIEWS
Superb in every way - 5 Stars!
I'm a fairly handy guy (surgeon) and rely on several knots in my practice. Nevertheless I'm pretty hopeless at learning new knots and remembering them, even though I'm a sailor and do some fishing. Knots 3D is the answer. I love every aspect of the app.
Great App - 5 Stars!
I really like this app, I have 4 knot apps, and I use this one the most. As a firefighter rope skills is a must and this app helps keep me "knot prepared". The zoom and step through the knot using a finger gestures is real handy. The author updates this app with new knots often. I recommend this app.
- Updated animations and graphics for 10 knots
- 6 new knots (127 total): Inuit Bowline - FG Knot - Kalmyk Loop - Orvis Knot - Tarbuck Knot - Double Davy Knot
We've been busy making the best knot app better! Many of the knot models have been upgraded with the following improvements:
- 8, 16, and 24 strand rope with dozens of new photorealistic textures and patterns
- More realistic metal rings, wood poles, carabiners, fish hooks, etc
- Smoother animations
If you like the changes, please leave us a review and let us know!
Ratings and Reviews
I made the right choice with this one
They just updated the app which has makes me feel like I made the right choice for once. I tossed up between "Knot Guide" and "Knots 3D" and bought this one because it was more recent and universal. Now Knots 3D have updated and "knot Guide" is years old and has fewer knots. I also had a look at other knot apps to see if this one has been overtaken. "How to tie Knots 3D" looks pretty good but uses photos rather than rendering so the app is almost twice as large, has only 55 knots and you can't spin the knot around.
About the only things missing would be a larger selection of decorative knots and I'd love to see something on the gordian knot both history and modern attempts to make real!
My review from last year:
Well designed and executed app that seems to have everything you could want and then some. Swipe across the animation to go back and forth in the tying process or select the 360 button to spin it around from all angles. So much better than photos and next time I'm tempted to use a bowline because I can't remember how to tie a truckie hitch I just use my phone.
Awesome for Scouters
I regularly make use of this App when teaching my scouts the way to tie complex lashings and knots, it’s much easier for them to understand when they don’t have a pair of hands obstructing their view. It’s also amazing for the obscure knots some of the Scouts want to be signed off on when I don’t know how to do them myself.
Great knots app
Really well done, lots of knots (121 atm) for boating, fishing, camping, rescue, climbing, even decorative as well as general purpose.
Animated, rotatable and easy instructions as well as context of use. Easy to follow and replicate knots as such.
As a feature, and I’m sure that would be very easy to implement by the developers, then I’d wish that there was a “continuous loop” option in the animation so the knot keeps playing over and over again. Right now the play button has to be repeatedly pressed, which is cumbersome if one is in the middle of a knot looking for the next step. That would make this app absolutely perfect.
Kept up the great work.
- David Boren
- 86.7 MB
- Requires iOS 8.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad and iPod touch.
- English, Arabic, Danish, Dutch, Finnish, French, German, Hebrew, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Norwegian, Polish, Portuguese, Russian, Simplified Chinese, Spanish, Swedish, Traditional Chinese, Turkish
- Age Rating
- Rated 4+
- © 2011 Nynix LLC
Up to six family members will be able to use this app with Family Sharing enabled.