Meet Libby. Did you know your local library has thousands of ebooks and audiobooks? You can borrow them, instantly, for free, using just the device in your hand.
1. Fish out your library card
2. Open the Libby app
3. Find your local library
4. Search, sample, borrow, enjoy
It takes just a few taps to find and borrow a book. Libby has a ground-breaking built-in ebook reader, and a beautiful audiobook player. If you prefer, you can send books to your Kindle for reading.
• Sign in to multiple libraries, with one or more library cards
• Stay signed in for as long as you like
• Download books and audiobooks for offline reading, or stream them to save space
• Sample any book with a tap — nothing to download or delete
• Try a zoomable graphic novel, or a picture book with readalong audio
• All your holds and loans are consolidated on a single shelf
• Tag titles as read, loved, hated, wishlist, schoolbook, beach-reading, whatever you like
• Your loans, holds, reading positions, bookmarks and notes are synchronized automatically across all your devices
• Keep track of your reading history in the Activity tab
Libby is the brand new app from OverDrive Labs. We're trying to simplify and bring joy to every aspect of digital borrowing and reading. If you love it, you can use it instead of the OverDrive app. If you don't love it yet, feel free to keep using the OverDrive app, but check in on Libby from time to time — we're adding features and squashing bugs every day.
We've worked hard on some behind-the-scenes things in this release. Notable improvements include:
* Library card verification is fully built-in to the app — signing into your cards is much clearer and easier now.
* We've addressed a theoretical loophole where WiFi-only downloads might have continued on a cellular connection.
* Launching the app is smoother and a tiny bit faster.
* Several causes of audio playback errors (where an exclamation mark is shown in the play button) have been fixed.
* The home bar is hidden while reading books (iPhone X/XS/XR).
* We've fixed some problems with resuming downloads in iOS 12.
Ratings and Reviews
Libby is user friendly and convenient. I enjoy reading and especially like listening to audio books - great when doing housework and gardening. Can’t really fault the app. Only thing I would like is if I could put it on timer for longer than 30mins. Can you give us a choice eg 30, 45, 60 minutes...I like to listen as I go to sleep, and 30 mins is just too short. Also more of the series in books. Often I can access only a few books of a series eg Micheal Connolly’s Bosch series. It would be awesome to read/ listen to these in chronological order.
However these are minor issues. Otherwise LOVE Libby.
Excellent library access
Libby gives you access to whatever electronic resources your local library offers, in an easy and pretty format. It's well-suited to browsing, with interesting groupings, so you don't have to already know what you want. That's a big deal!
Syncing between devices seems to work well too.
The improvement I'd suggest is letting the user decide if they want to pick up a hold or reject it for now. I'm in hospital with very thin wifi, and the loan on the audio book I've just get from hold is ticking away, but I can't access it right now.
A brilliant app for accessing library resources. The search features are great. Reader views and options are clear and intuitive. The switch libraries option is great. It would be great if it had push notifications linked to the activity tab - notifications for when a book on your shelf is due/ about to expire, and a notification when a book you placed a hold on becomes available. It would also be great to have Good Reads integration. And even greater if it had Spritz integration. I love this app.
Up to six family members will be able to use this app with Family Sharing enabled.