The foremost field guide to Australian birds is now available on the iPhone, iPod Touch and iPad with a comprehensive collection of bird calls.
** If you would like to experience the app check out The Michael Morcombe eGuide to the Birds of Australia LITE which is FREE and includes 59 species **
Michael Morcombe’s Field Guide to Australian Birds has been called the most comprehensive field guide to Australian birds in the market today and now it is perfectly complimented by the eGuide which features:
● iPhone optimised controls – swipe to next or previous species, one-tap enlargement of an image and rotate the device (landscape) to enlarge an image completely (and fit the width of the screen).
● Over 3000 hi-res bird images covering over 790 bird species.
● Most bird species have a detailed distribution map showing any subspecies that occur.
● Detailed text descriptions of almost all bird species including songs and calls, measurements and breeding behaviour.
● Over 1800 carefully-selected and edited sound recordings for over 600 species. Many species are represented with multiple call examples showing the full range of vocalizations.
● The ability to compare any two images, maps, or sounds, side by side on the screen. The ability to filter by geographic location, so that you see only the species likely to occur in your location, and to further reduce the possibilities to usual or vagrant species in the selected area.
● A “Smart Search” that gives the ability to search by distinguishing features such as size, colour, physical features, habitat and exclude certain types of birds (eg. Passerines).
● A basic personal species list that stores your sightings saved to the device* (ability to upload list coming soon)
● A comprehensive help and introduction section to help you if you get stuck or don’t understand how a certain feature works.
*Uninstalling/reinstalling the program will result in the loss of your list, it is recommended that you keep your own backup (master list) separate from the application.
We invite all users to share their comments and ideas on our forum at www.mydigitalearth.com
NB. This Application WILL ONLY work on an iPhone or iPod Touch running iOS V7.1 or higher NOT A NORMAL IPOD CLASSIC/NANO and the download is about 320MB.
Fixed a bug where My Location would not refresh.
Updated a few calls.
Ratings and Reviews
Most successful bird app.
I am very happy that you made this tool. When ever I am uncertain of a calli always check this app straight away. One thing you could improve on is the list. I accidentally added a bird incorrectly and hade to delete the list and start again. If you could fix this in the next update that would be great👌🏻🖖🏿🖕🏿👏🏼👏🏼👏🏼👏🏼👏🏼👏🏼👏🏼👏🏼👏🏼😁😆🤣😂😅
Very Practical and useful
The app is well designed and very easy to use .It could do with some improvements, Island territories are excluded and it would be nice to add our own photos and recorded calls to our lists. The recent Grasswren and Quail-Thrush splits are not shown in the app . I much prefer using the app than a book while out in the field.
What a wonderful app. I totally agree. Forget about lugging around books any more. This is all you need for watching birds.
However! It seems to be crashing a little bit.
It may need looking at.
But other than that, amazing app.
Up to six family members will be able to use this app with Family Sharing enabled.