NATIONAL RELAY SERVICE APP
The National Relay Service (NRS) is for any Australian who is deaf, hearing impaired or speech impaired who wants to make phone calls.
The app provides easier ways to make calls through the NRS in Australia.
This app gives you access to the following call options:
• internet relay – if you want to type and read your conversation
• Speak and Listen – if you are hard to understand on the phone
• video relay – if you use Auslan
• captioned relay – if you can speak but can’t hear clearly.
The app is a world-first in combining a range of relay calls and support functions in a single app.
For both internet relay and Speak and Listen the app provides additional benefits or features that are only available through the app. These include:
• the ability to use customised phrases and call set-ups that you can pre-store on your phone or tablet
• the ability to ‘click through’ from contacts stored on the device
• better notification for incoming internet relay calls
• the option of inserting text for users making Speak and Listen calls
• the ability to utilise the device’s GPS in providing location information.
The app and any calls you make using the app are free. However, you will be connecting to the internet and will be using broadband data. How you are charged for this data will depend on the plan you have with your service provider.
See www.relayservice.gov.au to find out more about the NRS or the NRS app.
This is version 1.0.2 of the NRS app.
Fixed issue with special characters in passwords.
Fixed issue with keyboard appearing over conversation area on iOS 11 devices.
Other minor bug fixes.
Ratings and Reviews
No landscape view
Needs a landscape view/auto rotate option.
As others have also said, an option to connect to phone book
I wish this was integrated into my iPhone Phone app so if I called someone the nrs app would kick in and call them on the relay service.
Also, why isn’t there a landscape mode?
Service is life changing but app could use work
The NRS service has opened up a new world for me and the app means I can use my mobile to send and receive calls.
Improvements I'd love to see in the app are:
👉🏼 Landscape mode on iPad so I can use it with a keyboard
👉🏼 iCloud or account based storage of saved numbers and phrases
👉🏼 The option to not passcode protect my phone numbers list. I keep my phone locked and don't like having to unlock twice.
If you need to pick one, working with a keyboard on iPad is it.
I basically like the app and there's just these few frustrations.
- Department of Communications
- 12 MB
- Social Networking
- Requires iOS 7.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad and iPod touch.
- Age Rating
- Rated 4+
- © Commonwealth of Australia
Up to six family members will be able to use this app with Family Sharing enabled.