A powerful yet simple podcast player, with Smart Speed, Voice Boost, and Smart Playlists to help you listen to more podcasts in more places, try new shows, and completely control your experience.
Overcast is a modern, fully featured audio podcast player with many useful features in a simple, intuitive interface:
- Download podcasts for playing anytime, even when offline.
- Search and browse for new podcasts, plus get recommendations from Twitter.
- Create custom Playlists with smart filters and per-podcast priorities, and rearrange the list whenever you want.
- Receive optional push notifications when new episodes arrive.
- Subscribe to a podcast, or just add an episode: try new shows without committing.
- Download podcasts over cellular, set a sleep timer, or use Voice Boost to enhance and normalize speech volume.
- Adjust playback speed, and use Smart Speed to shrink silences and pick up extra speed without distorting the conversation.
- 3D Touch support
- Rich notifications
- Apple Watch app with standalone podcast playback
- CarPlay support
Overcast is ad-supported. If you choose to purchase Overcast Premium to remove ads, payment will be charged to your iTunes account, and your account will be charged for renewal 24 hours prior to the end of the current period. Auto-renewal may be turned off at any time by going to your settings in the iTunes Store after purchase. Current price for Overcast Premium is $9.99 USD per year, and may vary from country to country.
Minor bug fixes.
Ratings and Reviews
A fully featured podcast player.
Good app bad UI
The app itself works great, smart speed is awesome, haven’t had it crash etc but dear god the UI on this thing is the most unintuitive thing ever.
You can tell the app developer is a pretty good engineer but is clearly lacking UI dev experience or design flair for that matter.
For instance, oh that podcast looks good I’m not near Wi-Fi but don’t mind using mobile to download it before my flight.
*click on podcast*
Hmm ok nothing here to set it to download. I can share it (don’t know many people who do that but fair enough).
There is a star... no that’s not it. Ahh settings up top might have it. Nope...
Oh it might be elsewhere. So top level menu I have a broadcast icon thingy, that might be it.
Nope that’s app settings. Not sure why on earth settings would be on top left and how a broadcast tower icon relates to it.
Hmm it wouldn’t be the + because that’s add a podcast and I’m not sure why but apparently people make enough playlists that it needs to be a top level menu icon, even though it’s at the top of the main podcast list.
Must be the little down arrow, makes sense download.
Ok waiting to download... how do I set it to cellular??
Swipe righ. Delete ! Please please let swipe left be it....
*please turn off all your electronic devices as we prepare for take off*
I love the Overcast app!
I recommend Overcast for all podcast listeners, from beginner to addicted power-user. The user interface, great playback options and quality design are all fantastic.
My very favourite features, as someone who subscribes to 100+ podcasts, are smart speed, vocal boost and the ability to speed up playback to 3x the normal speed. I spent a couple of months training myself to listen and now have my podcasts exclusively set to 3x speed which allows me to take in so much more content. Smart speed and vocal boost means the audio quality remains clear and easy to understand even at that speed. I only wish I could take things up to 4x. Maybe in the next update!
A fully featured podcast player.
- Overcast Radio, LLC
- 14 MB
- Requires iOS 12.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad and iPod touch.
- Age Rating
- Rated 4+
- © 2014–2018 Overcast Radio, LLC
- In-App Purchases
- Overcast Premium $12.99
Up to six family members will be able to use this app with Family Sharing enabled.
Get things done within this app using just your voice.