Peter Vogel CMI
By Peter Vogel Instruments Pty Ltd
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
Travel back in time to the dawn of electronic music with this strange retro app – a MIDI player preloaded with 500+ legendary CMI (Computer Musical Instrument) sounds.
The first byte-perfect re-issue of the classic CMI sounds of the 80s, immortalised by artists including Alan Parsons, Jean Michel Jarre, Trevor Horn, Thomas Dolby, Brian Eno, Kate Bush, Peter Gabriel, Stevie Wonder and so many more.
This app includes a play-only demo of the famous ‘Page R’, which was the world's first screen-based rhythm sequencer. Today every sampler, digital synthesiser, sequencer and audio workstation can trace its lineage back to this legendary machine.
Now you can have, in your pocket or on your iPad, a piece of history developed by Peter Vogel and other music nerds who worked on the Fairlight* CMI in the '80s.
- browse and play the entire original CMI IIX Sounds floppy disk library
- 564 voices imported digitally.
- play the CMI voices from an external MIDI input (supports Core MIDI devices. Line6 MidiMobilizer II or Akai SynthStation require MidiBridge or similar), or use the on-screen keyboard
- display voices graphically using the iconic Page D, and change your viewpoint by tilting your iPhone/iPad.
- play built-in CMI Page R compositions or import and play compositions sent to you by others.
- authentic CMI user interface experience, including floppy disk quirks.
UPGRADE to PRO VERSION
Use the in-App upgrade process to add “pro” features for an additional $39.99. Vogel CMI Pro App includes CMI III voices, the ability to compose 8 track songs using the Page R pattern sequencer, sampling your own voices from the microphone or line in and much more. See the “Vogel CMI Pro” app description for details.
I would have never dreamt in a million years to own a Fairlight. It is the stuff of legends! Beyond any ordinary man's budget! And for this day to come a reality for a mere $10!! I am in awe and shock! I cannot emphasize how thankful I am to you for releasing this Iconic and Legendary instrument as an iPhone application!! (Imad Hamadieh, Dubai, UAE)
When I saw it yesterday and found out about it, I just about fainted!!
Very nice app! A complete revival / reissue of the best computer musical instrument ever in a tiny but very useful format. It is a joy to see an epic piece of synthesizer/sampling history as an app for the millions. Finally you can take your Fairlight wherever you are! A Fairlight to go-go-go! (Freek Roffel, Netherlands)
Again I would like to take a moment and extend a huge THANK YOU to the entire Fairlight team. ... You have taken the time and patience to create an affordable solution for the masses. ... You have given us a gift. I am truly excited to see what users will do with this App to change the future of music once again. Sincerely, thank you. (Zacharia Malakai, USA)
All I can say is WOW!! I have put this thru my BIG speakers in my studio and put a little reverb on and the sound is stunning – SO what am I going to do with my Fairlight CMI-IIx now?? (Howard J Smith, USA)
This App will work on any device running iOS 7 or later. However, if you want to use Audiobus or do heavy performance and composing work with the Pro upgrade, we recommend a minimum of iPod Touch 4G, iPhone 4 or iPad 2.
*Fairlight is a trademark of Fairlight.au Pty Ltd Australia
What's New in Version 2.3.1
• Fixes a bug where built-in voices did not play in Page R or preview if they were not loaded in the Voice screen previously
• A new MIDI engine allows connection via the most common Virtual MIDI protocol - OMAC/MidiBus
• Tapping the on-screen keyboard's MIDI display brings up a MIDI control panel that allows you to turn on and off all the physical and virtual MIDI inputs, and allows you to connect to Bluetooth Low Energy (BLE MIDI) devices.
• Now responds to a few MIDI continuous controllers:
• modulation wheel input: controls vibrato (LFO)
• controller 7: main amplifier gain
• controller 10: pan
Please let us know what other controllers you want, doing what.
• Now responds to MIDI MMC messages if a song has been loaded in Page R:
• START: starts playing the song from the beginning
• STOP: pauses song playback
• CONTINUE: continues playing from where it paused
• note that although MMC messages are processed, CLOCK IN is not used. The CMI app can not yet synch to an external clock source.
• Experimental - sends MIDI MMC messages if a song has been loaded in Page R:
• START: when the song starts playing from the beginning
• STOP: when the song pauses song playback
• CONTINUE: when the song continues playing from where it paused
• CLOCK: (yes, much requested) a standard MIDI 24-ticks-per-quarter-note clock is output while the song is playing.
Please let us know how Clock Out works for you.
• Allows audio output via Bluetooth
• Fixes the Page R invisible music keyboard on smaller iPhones
• Fixes a bug where newly inserted notes in Page R sometimes did not play
• Fixes edited waveform not playing sometimes; displays warning if edited waveform is not saved
• Fixes the inability to connect as an IAA input for apps such as Auria
• Fixes the MIDI pitch wheel input, which was getting stuck at a semitone low.
• The CMI app is now once again visible in MidiBridge, so it can receive MIDI from non-Core-Midi devices not directly supported by the CMI app.
• Fixes the crunchy sound on the startup song.
• Avoids the iOS bug that broke the left keys on the iPhone on-screen music keyboard. NOTE: disables swipe-to-go-back. Let us know if this is a problem for you.
- Category: Music
- Updated: 25 January 2017
- Version: 2.3.1
- Size: 87.0 MB
- Language: English
- Seller: Peter Vogel Instruments Pty Ltd
- © 2011 Fairlight Instruments Pty Ltd
Compatibility: Requires iOS 7.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
Top In-App Purchases
- CMI Pro Upgrade$62.99