This app is only available on the App Store for iOS devices.
Pleco is the ultimate Chinese learning companion - an integrated dictionary / document reader / flashcard system with fullscreen handwriting input and live OCR, from a company that's been making the world's best mobile Chinese learning apps since 2001.
Major features: ($ = paid add-on)
• Amazing dictionaries. We include two lovely free ones built-in: the popular open-source CC-CEDICT, with over 110,000 frequently-updated entries, and our own PLC dictionary, with 125,000 more detailed entries, parts of speech, and over 25,000 example sentences (with Pinyin). More than two dozen other dictionaries are available as free and paid ($) add-ons, including licensed titles from well-known publishers like Oxford, Longman, FLTRP, Tuttle, SLPH, and Commercial Press.
• Powerful merged search: look up words by Chinese characters, Pinyin (spaces / tones optional), or English, with support for wildcards and full-text search. And no need to tediously flip between all of those dictionaries to find a word - just type in your search term and instantly get a combined, frequency-sorted result list.
• Links and cross-references: easily look up character components, break down words into individual characters, look up lists of words containing a particular character, search across all dictionaries for example sentences containing a word, and even find synonyms / antonyms using our (experimental) free thesaurus add-on.
• Gorgeous typography: see it for yourself in our screenshots - we think we're one of the best-looking Chinese dictionaries around. Alternate Kai/Song/Xing-style Chinese fonts are also available ($).
• PRC/HK/Taiwan-friendly: every part of Pleco supports both traditional and simplified characters, headword pronunciations can be shown in Zhuyin as well as in Pinyin, and we even support Cantonese search and display in our PLC dictionary.
• Audio: Hear Mandarin and Cantonese pronunciations for words and example sentences using iOS' free built-in text-to-speech system. We also offer add-ons ($) with native-speaker Mandarin and Cantonese recordings, plus higher-quality Mandarin text-to-speech system options.
• Document Reader: bring in text from the clipboard and tap on words in it to instantly look them up. Upgrade ($) adds support for tap-lookups in text, HTML, DOC, DOCX, PDF, and EPUB files, and in embedded lyrics in songs and podcasts.
• OCR: look up words simply by pointing your device's camera at them, or by tapping on them in a still image. ($)
• Fullscreen handwriting: use your device's whole screen instead of just a little box. Extremely accurate and highly tolerant of stroke order mistakes. ($)
• Flashcards: create a card from any dictionary entry with a single button tap, import premade word lists, use advanced memorization techniques like SRS, and study in a variety of modes including fill-in-the-blanks handwriting and tone drills. ($)
• Stroke Order Diagrams: animations showing you how to draw each character; 500 characters for free, 28,000 in paid ($) version.
• User dictionaries: create new dictionary entries right on your device as you encounter new words. ($)
• Absolutely no ads.
We also offer famously excellent customer support and an active user community at http://www.plecoforums.com. And we're constantly working to make our products better; our sales and customer base have been growing for 18 years across 4 different mobile platforms. You can be confident that we'll still be fixing bugs and adding features for years to come.
Our paid add-ons can be transferred to other devices that link to your iTunes account just like any other paid iTunes content; simply install our free app, open up the "Add-ons" screen, and tap on the "Restore Purchases" button to activate your purchase on each device.
Please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org, via the form at http://www.pleco.com/contact.html, or using the in-app "Contact Support" command with any questions - we'll be delighted to hear from you.
• Bug fixes in support of upcoming iOS system software and hardware updates.
A note on reviews: the App Store no longer resets our review average with every update (yay!), but if you haven't left us a review recently, we'd really appreciate it if you would - after this one, you hopefully shouldn't need to do it again for quite a while...
Ratings and Reviews
Flash cards are a joke
I am trying to explore pleco flash cards to anki and when I export them, I want 3 categories-Hanzi, Pinyin and the English translation. However when I do this, the English translation section always includes paragraphs of 'example sentences' which I cannot seem to separate. Not only does this make it difficult to read the flash cards, but it basically reveals the answer when I am doing an English-Chinese review, which defeats the entire point of doing the exercise in the first place. How can I separate a simple English words from the mountains of example sentences in the flash cards? This should be much more intuitive.
Go into Organize Cards / Edit / Batch and remap your cards to CC-CEDICT; that dictionary does not include any example sentences and so should give you the sort of pared-down data you want for this.
I've been learning Chinese for 8 years. I've tried many other dictionaries but Pleco is THE ONLY ONE worth using. My favourite feature is the large characters you can learn to copy their stroke order if you're learning how to write. FANTASTIC! And their backup service is the best. And they just keep making it better n better. Thank u Pleco.
Best Chinese Dictionary
Pleco has helped me do tons of my homework, thank you for not nagging for a review. Amazing! I really do think that making a feature which would accurately translate sentences to render google translate useless. Because there truely seems to not need extra or more features.
In-App PurchasesSee All
- Pleco Inc.
- 134.8 MB
- Requires iOS 9.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad and iPod touch.
- Age Rating
- Rated 9+ for the following:
- Infrequent/Mild Profanity or Crude Humour
- © 2018 Pleco Inc. and its licensors
- In-App Purchases
- Optical Character Recognizer $14.99
- Basic Bundle $46.99
- Full-screen Handwriting $14.99
Up to six family members will be able to use this app with Family Sharing enabled.