By Plex Inc.
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
Plex organizes all of your video, music, and photo collections, and gives you instant access to them on all of your devices. With the free Plex Media Server software on your home computer and Plex for iOS, you can enjoy all of your personal media on your iPhone, iPad or iPod touch, and easily share it with friends and family. Plex also makes your media look beautiful with rich descriptions, artwork, and other related information. With an optional premium Plex Pass subscription, you can even sync videos, music, and photos to your smartphones and tablets to enjoy while offline. Parental controls, premium music features, music videos, trailers and extras, and powerful management tools are also part of our premium offering. Getting up and running is fast and simple, so get started now! Enjoy unlimited use of free features of this app, and unlock its full functionality with a Plex Pass subscription -OR- a one-time in-app purchase (see below).
Here are some ways that Plex makes your media experience awesome:
• Makes your media beautiful with artwork, descriptions, and more
• Automatically converts your media on-the-fly to play on any device
• Makes sharing your media with friends and family simple and easy
• Lets you browse, fling, and control your media on most Plex apps
• Gives you access to a wide range of online channels such as TED Talks, Revision3, and TWiT
• Enables you to queue online videos from sites like Vimeo and YouTube and then Watch Later on any device
• Unlimited casting of photos and videos from the Camera Roll on your phone or tablet to all of your screens (such as your computer, smartphone, tablet, streaming devices, game consoles, smart TVs, and more!)
• Unlimited casting of any media on your Plex Media Server to all of your screens
• Remote control of your big screen Plex Apps
LIMITATION: Playing media from your Plex Media Server on the device running this app is limited (one minute for music and video, watermark on photos) until the app is unlocked.
UNLOCK FULL FUNCTIONALITY:
You can remove the playback limitations on the app in several ways:
• Use a Plex Pass enabled account to sign into the app -OR-
• Sign up for a monthly Plex Pass subscription in the iOS app -OR-
• Make a small, one-time, in-app purchase of just the iOS app itself
NOTE: If you've already purchased the app or have a Plex Pass, you do NOT need to purchase again!
Other features include*:
• Accessibility: Connect to your Plex Media Server wherever you are, whenever you want
• Plex Home: Use customized, managed accounts, and restrict content those users can access
• Camera Upload: Automatically upload your photos from your device to your Plex Media Server
• Mobile Sync: Sync media to your phone or tablet for offline viewing
• Security: Enjoy your media away from home, knowing connection is securely encrypted
• Plex Mix: Kick off a playlist of similar and related tracks from your collection at any time
• Rotten Tomatoes: See how your movie collection ranks with ratings from Rotten Tomatoes
• Related Movies and TV shows: Easily find similar movies based on selections in your library
• Top Movies: View top movies by genre, director, and actor
• Movie Extras and Music Videos: Access trailers, extras, and music videos from your libraries
*Please note, some features are only available to Plex Pass subscribers.
NOTE: PLEX FOR IOS REQUIRES IOS 8.1+; YOU MUST HAVE A PLEX MEDIA SERVER (AVAILABLE FOR FREE) INSTALLED AND RUNNING TO STREAM LOCAL MEDIA. VERSION 0.9.12.5 OR HIGHER IS REQUIRED. DRM-protected content (such as video from the iTunes store), ISO disc images, and VIDEO_TS folders are not supported.
What's New in Version 4.4
- Currently playing chapter is highlighted in the Chapter Selection screen.
- Device Settings can be accessed from inside the Settings Screen.
- When a new player is selected, ask for confirmation to continue playback there.
- Videos thumbnails are shown in the Folder View.
- Include iCloud media in Camera Upload.
- Add video upload to Camera Upload.
- Device names with non-latin characters are now passed to plex.tv correctly.
- Watch Later and Recommendations items will now show view progress on the discover screen.
- Library filter button text now indicates if filtering only synced content.
- Improved Play Queue reorder mode.
- Overview is collapsed after 2 lines.
- Playing unavailable files from the context menu now presents an error.
- Playlist View's item titles shows more relevant information.
- Mark Watch Later and Recommendations as watched / unwatched
- Subtitles are shown for Episodes in Browse Grid and List Views.
- Sync screen on playlists was being incorrectly shown when user wasn't allowed to sync.
- Announcements button was incorrectly shown for managed users.
- Long press over parent cell in Folder View crashed the app.
- Preplay screens wouldn't load under some circumstances.
- AirPlay button wouldn't work consistently.
Bait and switch, no family sharing
I bought this a few years back and had it working on 2 iPads with different iTunes accounts for my wife and I using family sharing. Recent updates have changed the app to be free but mostly useless (1 min videos only) unless you pay for IAPs to unlock it. But family sharing doesn't work with IAPs so it wants me to pay for it again on my wife's iPad. Couple that with forcing you to create a plex online account to try to upsell you services that are irrelevant if, like me, you only want to stream inside your own house, and for me Plex has jumped the shark. Back to XBMC I go.
The only app to have for movies
This app/platform is amazing. A lifetime pass is completely worth it. Can't imagine life without Plex now.
I use Plex on my home PC, MacBook and iOS device and it has always worked seamlessly. Highly recommend!
- Category: Entertainment
- Updated: 03 October 2016
- Version: 4.4
- Size: 115 MB
- Languages: English, Arabic, Bulgarian, Catalan, Croatian, Czech, Danish, Dutch, French, German, Greek, Hebrew, Hungarian, Indonesian, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Malay, Norwegian Bokmål, Norwegian Nynorsk, Polish, Portuguese, Romanian, Russian, Simplified Chinese, Spanish, Swedish, Thai, Traditional Chinese, Turkish, Ukrainian, Vietnamese
- Seller: Plex Inc.
- © 2015 Plex, Inc.
Compatibility: Requires iOS 8.1 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.Apple TV: Yes
Top In-App Purchases
- iOS App Activation (enable streaming playback on iOS devices)$7.99
- Monthly Plex Pass$7.99