By Plex Inc.
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
Plex organizes all of your video, music, and photo collections, and gives you instant access to them on all of your devices. With the free Plex Media Server software on your home computer and Plex for iOS, you can enjoy all of your personal media on your iPhone, iPad or iPod touch, and easily share it with friends and family. Plex also makes your media look beautiful with rich descriptions, artwork, and other related information. With an optional premium Plex Pass subscription, you can even sync videos, music, and photos to your smartphones and tablets to enjoy while offline. Parental controls, premium music features, music videos, trailers and extras, and powerful management tools are also part of our premium offering. Getting up and running is fast and simple, so get started now! Enjoy unlimited use of free features of this app, and unlock its full functionality with a Plex Pass subscription -OR- a one-time in-app purchase (see below).
Here are some ways that Plex makes your media experience awesome:
• Makes your media beautiful with artwork, descriptions, and more
• Automatically converts your media on-the-fly to play on any device
• Makes sharing your media with friends and family simple and easy
• Lets you browse, fling, and control your media on most Plex apps
• Gives you access to a wide range of online channels such as TED Talks, Revision3, and TWiT
• Enables you to queue online videos from sites like Vimeo and YouTube and then Watch Later on any device
• Unlimited casting of photos and videos from the Camera Roll on your phone or tablet to all of your screens (such as your computer, smartphone, tablet, streaming devices, game consoles, smart TVs, and more!)
• Unlimited casting of any media on your Plex Media Server to all of your screens
• Remote control of your big screen Plex Apps
LIMITATION: Playing media from your Plex Media Server on the device running this app is limited (one minute for music and video, watermark on photos) until the app is unlocked.
UNLOCK FULL FUNCTIONALITY:
You can remove the playback limitations on the app in several ways:
• Use a Plex Pass enabled account to sign into the app -OR-
• Sign up for a monthly Plex Pass subscription in the iOS app -OR-
• Make a small, one-time, in-app purchase of just the iOS app itself
NOTE: If you've already purchased the app or have a Plex Pass, you do NOT need to purchase again!
Other features include*:
• Accessibility: Connect to your Plex Media Server wherever you are, whenever you want
• Plex Home: Use customized, managed accounts, and restrict content those users can access
• Camera Upload: Automatically upload your photos from your device to your Plex Media Server
• Mobile Sync: Sync media to your phone or tablet for offline viewing
• Security: Enjoy your media away from home, knowing connection is securely encrypted
• Plex Mix: Kick off a playlist of similar and related tracks from your collection at any time
• Rotten Tomatoes: See how your movie collection ranks with ratings from Rotten Tomatoes
• Related Movies and TV shows: Easily find similar movies based on selections in your library
• Top Movies: View top movies by genre, director, and actor
• Movie Extras and Music Videos: Access trailers, extras, and music videos from your libraries
*Please note, some features are only available to Plex Pass subscribers.
NOTE: PLEX FOR IOS REQUIRES IOS 8.1+; YOU MUST HAVE A PLEX MEDIA SERVER (AVAILABLE FOR FREE) INSTALLED AND RUNNING TO STREAM LOCAL MEDIA. VERSION 0.9.12.5 OR HIGHER IS REQUIRED. DRM-protected content (such as video from the iTunes store), ISO disc images, and VIDEO_TS folders are not supported.
What's New in Version 4.6.1
- Fixed playback of trailers under some circumstances.
- Fixed crash purchasing Plex Pass subscription under some circumstances.
- Future photos uploaded with Camera Upload will use a date-based filename format instead of the (sometimes nonsensical) format that iOS gives them.
- Camera Upload is now more efficient when scanning for new photos to upload.
- Easier access to Lyrics in the audio player.
- New blurred background in the photo player.
- Screen dimming is disabled when Lyrics are onscreen so you can read along without having to worry about keeping the screen awake.
- See thumbnails while seeking on videos.
- Added Yearly subscription.
- Some search results would have the thumbnail displayed with a wrong aspect ratio.
- Camera Upload would fail to resume uploading when switching from cellular to wifi.
- Disable Play Queue save button when connected to a device that cannot save playlists.
- Fixed a crash under some circumstances when deleting everything from a playlist or queue.
- Extra line of information is shown in the Grid View.
- App could crash during the Cast Menu tutorial under some circumstances.
- Music Videos wouldn't play.
- Concerts, Behind the Scenes and Interviews wouldn't show in the Music Videos screen.
- Season View's header elements were not aligned.
- Fixed memory access crash browsing synced content.
- Saved settings for Camera Upload would fail to restore under some circumstances.
- View Mode button in a library wouldn't appear in some languages.
- Browse by Episodes were not sorted when selecting from Browse by Shows.
- Moving from Child Folder scrolls to Parent Folder position in Folder View.
- Advanced Settings for Managed Users showed weird text at the bottom of the table.
- A new photo library created for Camera Upload wouldn't appear in the Browse tab.
- Fixed layout issue with search filters on some devices running iOS 9.
- Loading spinner would remain on screen after live channels started to play.
- Under some circumstances a black circle was shown in the Season Details View.
- Smaller item size in Playlists.
- Context menu was shown for the wrong track in Album Details.
- Dismiss button was showing a misplaced border in the Post Play screen.
- App could crash opening a photo.
- Certain unconvential video files would sometimes crash the app during Camera Upload.
Best player app
Best player app to use with plex server
I use Plex media server for streaming from laptop to iPads iPhones ,smart tv's and Apple TV
Works great very easy to set up and use.
Love the look and feel of the server from all my devices
Great entertainment companion
When set up correctly this is a great entertainment companion to take with you wherever you go.
Be prepared to chew through data when you're not on wifi though as it can be addictive.
It's a great little app, however certain missing features make it seemingly redundant. Like why can't I add folders or scan for media from here?Things like that should have been core functionality.
- Category: Entertainment
- Updated: 20 December 2016
- Version: 4.6.1
- Size: 85.6 MB
- Languages: English, Arabic, Bulgarian, Catalan, Croatian, Czech, Danish, Dutch, French, German, Greek, Hebrew, Hungarian, Indonesian, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Malay, Norwegian Bokmål, Norwegian Nynorsk, Polish, Portuguese, Romanian, Russian, Simplified Chinese, Spanish, Swedish, Thai, Traditional Chinese, Turkish, Ukrainian, Vietnamese
- Seller: Plex Inc.
- © 2015 Plex, Inc.
Compatibility: Requires iOS 9.3 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.Apple TV: Yes
Top In-App Purchases
- iOS App Activation (enable streaming playback on iOS devices)$7.99
- Monthly Plex Pass$7.99
- Yearly Plex Pass$54.99