Have you ever arrived at a performance only to discover that the singer has decided to change the key at the last minute? Sure, you could sit down and transpose your prepared charts, but that takes time: time that you might not have available at that moment.
And what about those folders of chord charts you have sitting on your shelf, taking up space? Surely there’s got to be a better system for storing all that sheet music.
Progressions is an app for iPhone, iPod Touch and iPad, which allows you to store, organise and transpose simple chord charts, enabling you to use your device as a customised music display, or simply as a catalogue of the songs that you love to play.
You only need a basic understanding of chords for this app to transform the way you store written music, making the app perfect for beginners and professional musicians alike.
Charts are entered as completely free text, and can include song lyrics, notes about the song, shorthand instructions, section titles, etc. Progressions cleverly isolates the chords within the chart, allowing it to be transposed into any key you choose.
• Easily enter chord charts with lyrics or notes, or import text files.
• Create “sets” of charts for playing from in performances or practice sessions.
• Transpose charts to any key, on the fly.
• Print charts wirelessly using AirPrint.
• Send PDF copies of charts via email.
• Adjust display settings such as brightness, auto-lock and font size.
• Backup and restore your charts database.
It's been a little bit since the last update, and I apologise for that! It's partly because I've been busy with other work, but also because there were a couple of pretty tricky bugs to sort out. Nevertheless, here's a new update to hopefully sort out some of the stuff I've been able to track down.
- Charts got a small visual improvement with very subtle highlighting of chords within the content. This more or less acts as a visual marker of what can/will be transposed, and helps to differentiate things a little. There's no additional adjustments that can be made at this stage, but I'm working on more improvements in this space, so stay tuned.
- On occasion, charts can have words that are also chords: A and Am being two of the obvious candidates. You can now "escape" these words with a forward slash (like so: \A or \Am), and the resulting txt won't be picked up when transposing. Progress!
- The underlying database had some concurrency issues that could cause odd behaviour when editing sets or writing charts (though mostly the former). I went over the affected code with a fine-toothed comb and cleaned up the parts that could cause problems, which has smoothed things out considerably.
- Charts that contained tabs (as in the spaces, not the musical ones) has some formatting issues that could pop up, where lines would get cut short unnecessarily, causing chords to get out of line with lyrics, amongst other things. Rather than fixing it (because I literally can't), I've introduced ways of replacing them with spaces instead, avoiding the whole thing altogether.
- The delete/remove buttons for charts were inaccurately labelled due to a minor logic error, and the whole fiasco was made more confusing by the fact that favourite charts were deleted, not "unfavourited", as the label might have suggested. Both of these things have been resolved, ensuring that there is no confusion, or lost charts.
- I made some very, very minor tweaks to how stuff in Settings is displayed, making it a little clearer as to what does what, and the things that can actually be poked at.
- Using the tab key to move between fields in the chart editor was a bit haphazard, causing things to be highlighted and the key menu to be opened. I've streamlined the behaviour so it works as expected, so no more haunted editor.
If you need help with something, want to report problems, or just want to shoot compliments my way, you can totally do that! Hit me up by email at firstname.lastname@example.org or follow @progressionsapp on Twitter.
Until next time!
Ratings and Reviews
I found Progressions about 3 years ago and have used it weekly since then. Brilliant for gigs and working with different vocalists.
I think this app is amazing, very happy with it.
- Daniel Farrelly
- 10.6 MB
- Requires iOS 10.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone 5s, iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus, iPhone 6s, iPhone 6s Plus, iPhone SE, iPhone 7, iPhone 7 Plus, iPhone 8, iPhone 8 Plus, iPhone X, iPhone XS, iPhone XS Max, iPhone XR, iPad Air, iPad Air Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad mini 2, iPad mini 2 Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad Air 2, iPad Air 2 Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad mini 3, iPad mini 3 Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad mini 4, iPad mini 4 Wi-Fi + Cellular, 12.9-inch iPad Pro, 12.9-inch iPad Pro Wi-Fi + Cellular, 9.7-inch iPad Pro, 9.7-inch iPad Pro Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad Wi-Fi (5th generation), iPad Wi-Fi + Cellular (5th generation), 12.9-inch iPad Pro (2nd generation), 12.9-inch iPad Pro Wi‑Fi + Cellular (2nd generation), 10.5-inch iPad Pro, 10.5-inch iPad Pro Wi‑Fi + Cellular, iPad (6th generation), iPad Wi-Fi + Cellular (6th generation), iPad Pro (11-inch), iPad Pro (11-inch), iPad Pro (12.9-inch) (3rd generation), iPad Pro (12.9-inch) (3rd generation) and iPod touch.
- Age Rating
- Rated 4+
- © 2018 Daniel Farrelly
Up to six family members will be able to use this app with Family Sharing enabled.