Train your ears to recognize boosts and cuts in frequency and take your mixes, recordings and productions to the next level with Quiztones EQ ear training for audio engineers, producers and musicians.
Quiztones uses tones and frequency-altered noise and musical loops (including source material from your own music library) to train your ears so you can intuitively identify frequency boosts, cuts and changes in level and develop more acute listening, EQ and frequency recognition skills.
• Improve your mixing, recording and EQ'ing chops
• Sharpen your ears and frequency recognition skills
• Help you achieve clarity in your mixes and recordings
• Develop an intuition for which frequencies to boost or cut
• Learn how to identify and remove problematic frequencies
• Help you identify and eliminate PA system feedback for live sound
• Remove the need to sweep for frequencies in a mix
• Help you get cleaner mixes by learning to use EQ like a pro
Quiztones cleverly uses quizzes to guide you through various training exercises, and lets you track your progress with a built-in score log.
Each EQ quiz includes four trainers:
• Easy frequency boost (+10 dB)
• Hard frequency boost (+5 dB)
• Hard frequency cut (-10 dB)
• Expert frequency boost (+5 dB – 1/3 octave)
• iTunes/Music Library
• Pink Noise
• Strings 2
• Electric Bass
• Upright Bass
• Female Vocals
• Electric Guitar
• Acoustic Guitar
Each gain level comparison quiz includes two difficulty levels.
"Turns out, this app offers everything offered in that Berklee class of mine… in an app!"
- Damian Erskine, No Treble
“The Quiztones app is far and away the best app I've purchased. It's an incredible tool for all audio engineers and musicians ... My mixing has improved by leaps and bounds after just a few weeks with Quiztones.”
- Austin McAllister
A professional Audio Engineer of 10 years, I've come across many ear training devices, blind tests, and software. This app is TOPS! Highly recommended! The developers are serious about what they do. You will not be disappointed!
- Joel Avery
Optimizations for macOS 10.11+
Ratings and Reviews
I have wasted my money buying this app. I wish I could get a refund. You are asked to determine EQ changes and level changes but there is no reference to compare it to i.e., no sample without Eq or level change for comparison. A waste of money.
For how much it actually offers
This is a good thorough app for ear training. It would be good to see the addition of extra Tone based quizzes such as working with a 1/3 of the octave broken down into catagories of lows, low mid, mid and highs. Also It would be nice to have the option to listen to the difference in sound outside of the quiz scenario. For example, to go into the Drums and be able to choose what frequency you want to boost/cut by the same perameters within the quiz. Same for Gain and maybe a tone generator. I believe this would help people to understand what they are listening for.
Up to six family members will be able to use this app with Family Sharing enabled.