Ever find yourself wandering around Australia somewhere and seeing those grey clouds on the horizon and wonder if you're going to make it to cover in time? Or if you need to go buy another umbrella on your way home? RainRadarAU (formerly BOMRadar) can help. Displaying a sequence of real time radar images sourced from the Bureau of Meteorology, RainRadarAU shows the direction and intensity of the rain on your selected radar. With this information you can judge how long it will take for rain to reach you, and maybe when a gap will appear for you to escape.
*NOTE*: This application shows Australian rain radar information only.
* Selectable radar distances 64km/128km/256km/512km to see a small/big picture of the rain
* Wind Doppler radar on selected radars showing wind speed/direction
* Current weather observations to for current temperature, wind speed/direction, and rain fall since 9am in various locations.
* National radar and satellite map
* Zoom the radar map using pinch and pan to get a closer look
* Double tap to zoom in/Two-Finger double tap to zoom out
* Turn on/off extra layers for each radar including: Observations, Topography, Roads, Railway
* Your current GPS location indicated on map
* Locate radars closest to you using your current GPS location
* Image cache for storing frequently used image backgrounds
* Add favourite radars to quickly jump between radar locations or to load on start
* "On Launch" option to load straight into Closest Radar, Top Favourite or National Radar
* Automatic updating of radars
* Retina quality icons/legends
* Fast downloading and updating of images
* Fixed a bug where if a radar was down and you went to Next Radar, the app would crash if you reloaded the backup radar again in the same session.
* Fixed an issue where clicking cancel on the popup for the radar being down, wouldn't take you back to the previous screen.
Ratings and Reviews
Previously I had an App called Rain? It was great. Then one day they stuffed it up busy replacing the radar images with something that looked like a crayon drawing on your screen. So I deleted it. This app brings back the original maps from BOM to your iOS device.
I am happy to pay the small amount to get it.
Seems to also have wind too
Simple and still the best
If you want simple rain and wind details, this is the app. It combines the wind directions on the rain radar and this makes all the difference.
Synoptics and national radar is easy to access.
Two thumbs up!
This is a great app, I really like the gps dot, gives a better idea of the coming weather. Any chance you could add an address finder to plot a location other than your current location?
- Simon Coggins
- 7.4 MB
- Requires iOS 8.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad and iPod touch.
- English, Dutch, French, German, Greek, Italian, Japanese, Portuguese, Russian, Spanish, Swedish, Thai, Turkish
- Age Rating
- Rated 4+
- © 2017 Simon Coggins
Up to six family members will be able to use this app with Family Sharing enabled.