By ReachOut Australia
This app is only available on the App Store for iOS devices.
ReachOut Breathe helps you reduce the physical symptoms of stress and anxiety by slowing down your breathing and your heart rate with your iPhone or Apple Watch.
Research shows that slowing your heart rate can increase feelings of calmness in your body. Using simple visuals, ReachOut Breathe helps you to control your breath and measures your heart rate in real-time using the camera in your phone. This means that you can actively address the onset of physical stress symptoms such as shortness of breath, increased heart rate and a tightening of the chest.
HOW TO MEASURE YOUR HEART RATE
- Your heart rate is measured by analysing changes to the colour of your fingertip, using your camera and flash.
- To measure your heart rate, hit 'start' and gently hold your finger over the camera and flash on the back of your device.
- When the recording is complete, you will be able to compare your heart rate with your last measurement
HOW TO USE THE BREATHE TOOL
- Start by placing your finger on the screen and breathing in until the circle fills
- Lift your finger off the screen and hold your breath until the yellow line has gone all the way around the circle.
- breathe out until the circle fades out
- You can start using ReachOut Breathe with the default settings, then change the breathing intervals or duration if you feel it's too fast or slow
ABOUT CONTROLLED BREATHING
Your breathing changes when you're feeling stressed or anxious. You may take short, quick, shallow breaths which can make you feel worse.
When you actively try to slow down your breathing you can slow down your heart rate, to help you feel better and recover from the symptoms of stress and anxiety more quickly.
Controlled breathing can help you deal with stress or anxiety, but it does take practice. We suggest using the app at least twice a day to start. Then, when you've got it down, use it whenever you need to calm your breathing. You can use ReachOut Breathe at any time, wherever you are. For example:
- Before stressful times like exams, presentations or sporting events
- Before bedtime, to help you fall asleep
- Before or after situations that make you feel anxious
- Whenever you feel like relaxing
If you feel out-of-breath, light-headed or unwell at any time, stop using the app immediately. You may need to change the breathing intervals in settings, or see a medical professional if your symptoms continue.
ReachOut Breathe is not intended to diagnose, prevent, or treat any condition or disease. Measurements and statistics are intended for research, informational and educational purposes only.
What's New in Version 1.1
In this update we're making it easier for new users to lean about Breathe, including:
- Intro screens to give you an overview of Breathe and its features
- Guided help that's easier to understand when you measure your heart rate
- Improved instructions to walk you through the breathing exercise
- Option to change your breathing duration and settings before you begin the breathing exercise
We've also swatted a couple of bugs and made improvements to navigation and readability of text.
How are you using Breathe? Got any ideas or suggestions? Let us know on the ReachOut Forums (forums.au.reachout.com)
Simple and Helpful
Very calming graphics. I find it difficult to do breathing exercises without something to focus on so watching the circles move in and out as I breathe is very helpful. I would definitely recommend to others wanting to do breathing exercises to manage anxiety.
Ok, needs more options
This app is simple and very useful, except that you have to press your thumb down on the screen every time you want to breathe in, which becomes very annoying. Please allow the app to automatically breathe without the hold down feature and the app will be perfect.
A good app. I like the alarm reminder feature.
It would be good to be able to save our last few results for tracking. Thanks.
Customers Also Bought
- Category: Health & Fitness
- Updated: 20 December 2015
- Version: 1.1
- Size: 95.4 MB
- Apple Watch: Yes
- Language: English
- Seller: ReachOut Australia
- © ReachOut 2015
Compatibility: Requires iOS 7.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad and iPod touch.