A news reader for iOS with support for various sync services.
Reeder 4 adds new features like…
- The new Bionic Reading mode
- An in-app Read Later service which syncs with iCloud
- Image previews in the articles list (finally)
- Much improved article viewer
- More layout options
- Improved reader view
- More shortcuts, matching the ones of Reeder for Mac
Supported sync services:
- Feed Wrangler
- The Old Reader
- BazQux Reader
If you want to use a self-hosted service, Reeder should work with services which use the Fever or the Google Reader API. Or just standalone RSS (without syncing) if you don't want to use any service.
Reeder 4 is also available for macOS.
Please note: If you rely on image caching, this feature unfortunately wasn't ready for the 4.0 release but it's in the works.
• Option to group article list by feed
• New appearance options (see settings -> 'Appearance'):
- Hide unread/starred counts in the subscriptions list
- Hide favicons in the articles list
- Hide the text preview in the articles list
• When going back from the articles list (in unread view mode), Reeder 4 does not remove read items from the list (Reeder 3 did that, version 4 removes read items when selecting another feed). With 4.0.4, it will now clear the list when you reopen the currently selected feed by tapping on the feed list entry. If you want to reopen the list without removing read items, you can do that by swiping left from the subscriptions list back to the article list.
• Remember Bionic Reading mode state between app launches
• Improved Reader View
• Mark above/below as read sometimes failed to mark all items
Ratings and Reviews
Long time fan of Reeder disappointed by this version
I have been using Reeder for many years, and was excited by a new release. However there are a number of regressions that will likely cause me to continue to use the previous version:
* The navigation is more annoying. I like the multi-column viewing experience (on the ipad and mac). It makes it easy to browse the different feeds. The new version only ever shows one column next to an article. This gives more space for the article, but means it requires an extra tap every time you want to change to a different feed.
* It defaults to showing all of the feeds in a folder mixed together. I prefer reviewing each feed separately, which again requires additional taps.
* It no longer supports viewing the “alt text” (a misnomer) in images. This makes looking at XKCD much tougher.
Another annoyance with this version is it requires you to enter the sync account details again. I am not sure if it would have been possible to transfer the authentication between separate versions of the app, but at least it should have been possible to transfer the basic account details, so all you had to do was enter the password again.
Looking for a “Clear after ___” option
One of my uses for Reeder is a minimal subreddit browser (just shows the posts, doesn’t show any comments). However, the only option to clear posts is after they’re read, or a period of time after they’ve been read.
I’d like to see a “Clear after _______” (for me it would be one day) option, despite not having read it, because otherwise the feed will be become cluttered unless I read every single thing in there. Otherwise, this is a great upgrade. Thanks Silvio. 😊
No way to clear cookies
Reeder is pretty bad for privacy, as it doesn’t clear cookies when you use the in app browser, so all the sites are tracking you around the web.
Worse, there isn’t a way to manually clear cookies except by uninstalling, so you start running into monthly reading limits at various sites.
The app badly needs a private mode which clears cookies after every session.
- Silvio Rizzi
- 21 MB
Requires iOS 12.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad and iPod touch.
- Age Rating
- You must be at least 17 years old to download this application.
- Unrestricted Web Access
- © 2019 Silvio Rizzi
Up to six family members will be able to use this app with Family Sharing enabled.