A complete regular expression development tool meant for novices and professionals alike, this editor has many features designed to help in the development and storage of regular expressions. Based on the PCRE library, RegExRX will allow a user to craft patterns that are compatible with most regular expression flavors and will let them easily copy those patterns to other languages like Objective-C, Perl, Ruby, PHP and Xojo.
Some features include:
- Search and Replace modes.
- Color-coded tokens in both the "search" and "replace" patterns.
- Live matching against source text. Live replace too, where applicable.
- Insert menus with almost every acceptable token and a description of what they do, including constructs for various groupings, conditionals, lookarounds, and POSIX expressions.
- A "Match List" that shows all matches, with subexpressions and group names, and represents invisible characters like a space or return with their token equivalents ("\s" or "\r").
- A Templates menu for oft-used patterns. Save As Template from the File menu, or download free samples from our website directly into the Templates folder.
- Export the Match List to a text file, Excel, or FileMaker Pro XML.
- Save the Replaced Text to a text file.
- Stats on both the source text and replaced text so you can tell exactly where you are and what characters are represented at all times. Helps avoid errors caused by invisible characters.
- Linked scrolling among the source text, the replaced text and the Match List.
- Support for Unicode tokens, verbs, and subroutines.
- Save regular expressions in documents for reuse.
- Open as many windows as desired.
- Multiple levels of undo and redo.
- Link your sample source text to a file for easy reloading.
- Support for free-spacing mode.
- Full Unicode support, including a chart of all Unicode characters.
- A fluid interface that lets you resize each panel freely.
We also provides several ready-to-use sample regular expressions in a separate, free download. These samples include finding e-mail addresses, validating dates, removing duplicate lines, and more, and are available at our web site. (Check the Help menu to download directly through RegExRX.)
- Otherwise-invisible characters will always be entered as their equivalent codes (like "\xNN") in the pattern fields.
- Optimized colorization of curly brackets.
- Updated PCRE to 8.3.3.
- Raised subgroup limit from 16 to 100.
- Specifying too many subgroups in the search pattern will now report an error.
- Copy As 4D Code (French) wasn't being properly disabled if there was no pattern to copy.
- Added customized contextual menu.
- Added Objective-C as Copy target.
- Replace tokens menu now show group names next to subexpression.
- Fixed typo in Insert Search menu.
- Fixed bug in "Paste Special" where "Escape Brackets" wouldn't do anything.
- Fixed bug where option-space, -return, -tab would not enter corresponding code into pattern.
- Fixed bug where user would be unable to enter extended characters like "¨" (or "^" on some international keyboards).
- Fixed bug where a conditional would throw off subsequent group names.
- Fixed bug where opening multiple documents at the same time may fail to properly colorize source text in one of them.
Ratings and Reviews
A great tool for experimenting with
I use this every couple of weeks - when I'm in a project I'll be elbows deep ensuring my patterns match the target data correctly.
Has always been reliable.
App crashes on 10.10.3.
I bought both Oyster and Patterns but much prefer this app. and that's after months of using all three
- the user interface is excellent and makes things easy to come to grips with
- the multi-highlighting of selected text is very helpful
- the Match List allows easy inspection of array results
- the hints are well written and easy to find, along with assistance via built in Char chart etc
- saving working examples to disk also saves the current search pattern, replacement pattern, source text and user Options, making it easy to come back to previous work
- handy timer gives an indication of rx speed
- multi-language support with export of finished code (or patterns etc) to clipboard
- good use of templates
- stable and reliable
- offers export of the Match list to Excel, Filemaker etc providing a handy one-off usage for data massage
- many other goodies I've missed
Thank you very much to the author, you really helped me solve a bunch of problems wading through pages of HTML parsing - and yes, I know the saying but it's not true - regex is great for html
Up to six family members will be able to use this app with Family Sharing enabled.