By Literature & Latte
Open the Mac App Store to buy and download apps.
“The biggest software advance for writers since the word processor.”
- Best-selling novelist Michael Marshall Smith
Typewriter. Ring-binder. Scrapbook. Scrivener combines all the writing tools you need to craft your first draft, from nascent notion to final full stop.
Tailor-made for creating long manuscripts, Scrivener banishes page fright by allowing you to compose your text in any order, in sections as large or small as you like. Got a great idea but don’t know where it fits? Write when inspiration strikes and find its place later. Grow your manuscript organically, idea by idea.
Whether you plan or plunge, Scrivener works your way: meticulously outline every last detail first, or hammer out a complete draft and restructure later. Or do a bit of both. All text sections in Scrivener are fully integrated with its outlining tools, so working with an overview of your manuscript is only ever a click away, and turning Chapter Four into Chapter One is as simple as drag and drop.
Need to refer to research? In Scrivener, your background material is always at hand, and you can open it right alongside what you’re working on. Write a description based on a photograph. Transcribe an interview. Check for consistency with an earlier chapter.
Once you’re ready to share your work with the world, compile everything into a single document for printing, create an e-book, or export to popular formats such as Word, PDF, Final Draft or plain text. You can even share using different formatting, so that you can write in your favorite font and still keep your editor happy.
Scrivener’s users include best-selling novelists, screenwriters, students, academics, lawyers, journalists and translators. It won’t tell you how to write - it just provides everything you need to start writing and keep writing.
• Interactive tutorial project
• Project templates for novels, scripts, essays and more
• Import common text files such as RTF, DOCX, FDX, ODT and TXT
• Easily split imported text into separate sections
• Write your manuscript in sections of any size
• View sections individually or combined
• Distraction-free full-screen mode
• Scriptwriting mode for screenplays, stage plays, comic scripts and more
• Familiar text formatting tools
• Live word and character counts
• Mark up your text with comments
• Make notes in the sidebar which become footnotes or endnotes upon print or export
• Keep snapshots of earlier text versions and revert to them at any time
• Name generator
• MathType support
• Set goals using project and document targets
• Automatic backups
Find Your Structure
• Write in any order and reorganize later
• Write a synopsis for any text section and see it in the fully-featured outliner
• Rearrange sections as index cards on the corkboard
• Project-wide search
• Track ideas using labels and keywords
• Apply custom icons to your sections
Refer to Research
• Import research such as image, PDF and media files
• Import web pages
• View research files or other sections right alongside your writing
• Transcribe audio files
Get It Out There
• Compile to a single document for sharing or printing
• Export to popular formats such as DOC, RTF and plain text
• Print or generate PDF files
• Export ePub or Kindle files
• Export to Final Draft
• Supports MultiMarkdown for LaTeX export
• Sync with our iOS version (available separately)
Demonstration videos are available on our website.
We have a whole heap of testimonials from published authors - see our testimonials page at http://www.literatureandlatte.com/testimonials.php to read what they have to say.
If you have questions, feedback or need help, please contact us at email@example.com, visit our support forums at http://www.literatureandlatte.com/forum, or find us @scrivenerapp on Twitter.
What's New in Version 2.8
- Adds support for working with Scrivener for iOS projects.
- Miscellaneous bug fixes.
Not just good for writers
I bought Scrivener because it will encourage me to write articles and possibly books with more care and organisation. I have found it is very easily adaptable as a tool to keep notes at meetings as well. I can place all the pdf etc for a meeting in the research section and create notes based on the agenda with a split for each major topic. It syncs perfectly with my iPad version that I use in the meetings themselves. There is ample formatting options. What I would like to see added to the program is a todo list that can be ticked off for each project. This makes sense for writers who want to remember things and tick them off as they go. You can just create a document to do this but there is no way to easily tick off the items as you go. Really a wonderful program and so useful for many needs beyond just writing a book. Best app I have bought for productivity in a long time.
I was told about this app a few years ago.
I absolutely love it. So far 3 books have been written and published using this software. A forth one on its way. I also love the sorvice that I received to date from this company. To me it feels like software for writers written by writers. Thank you.