Privacy is possible. Signal makes it easy.
Using Signal, you can communicate instantly while avoiding SMS fees, create groups so that you can chat in real-time with all of your friends at once, and share media and other files with complete privacy. The server never has access to any of your communication and never stores any of your data.
• Say Anything - Signal uses an advanced end-to-end encryption protocol that provides privacy for every message every time.
• Open Source - Signal is Free and Open Source, enabling anyone to verify its security by auditing the code. Signal is the only private messenger that uses open source and peer-reviewed cryptographic protocols to keep your messages safe.
• Be Yourself - Signal uses your existing phone number and address book. There are no separate logins, usernames, passwords, or PINs to manage or lose.
• Group Chat - Signal allows you to create encrypted groups so that you can have private conversations with all of your friends at once. Not only are the messages encrypted, but the Signal server never has access to any group information like the membership list, group title, or group icon.
• Fast - The Signal protocol is designed to operate in the most constrained environment possible. Messages are delivered quickly and reliably.
• Speak Freely - Make crystal-clear voice and video calls to people who live across town, or across the ocean, with no long-distance charges.
For support, questions, or more information, please visit:
Follow us on Twitter (@signalapp) for all of the latest updates and announcements.
• Optional link previews are now supported for some of the most popular sites on the Internet. Share a Reddit thread that makes you think, an Imgur GIF of a bad lip sync, a YouTube clip of Doctor Who in “Blink,” or an Instagram photo of your friend’s new ink.
• Landscape mode is enabled throughout the application so you can live your life in widescreen.
• Search results are returned much faster when you’re starting a new conversation. This is particularly helpful if you have 37 people named “Mary” in your contacts.
Ratings and Reviews
Extra security and privacy features
Love this app, it's one of the 'must haves'
Being an app dealing with privacy, I would really appreciate a couple simple security and privacy features that are currently lacking in Signal for whatever reason..
--PW/PIN/Biometrics; to secure the app and/or individual conversations.
Unless I'm missing something anyone with physical access to your unlocked device can take a gander at your contributions and/or mess with settings, or even communicate with anyone..
Obviously any sensitive conversations should be deleted or have disappeared enabled and you should take more care to prevent unauthorised access to your devices, but still you never know, and it's just something I believe should be included in all apps and services that deal with potentially sensitive user information.
--Some kind of "quick quiet mode" to quickly silence and hide any incoming communications.
And status system that enables users to communicate the fact that it isn't necessarily "safe" to contact at the moment.
This ensures any sensitive and private communication is not seen or heard by anyone other than your self.
Thanks for an awesome app so far, I think everyone should be using this, even if you think you don't need to.
Solid, secure, and now a far more polished instant messenger
Signal has always been a reliable messenger, and is regularly updated with big fixes, performance improvements and tweaks. It’s most recent update has given it a massive yet subtle facelift that now has the look and feel of a modern app, a great improvement over the previously dated (although functional and consistent) interface.
3D Touch shortcuts scattered about, a wide range of attachment options, and rock solid security make for a complete feeling messenger.
Always been able to recommend this app to those that want secure messaging, and with its new look it fits more in on any iPhone than ever!
The only messenger I trust
While other E2E encrypted messengers exist, many still invade your privacy in other ways, such as raiding your contact list and building profiles on you. Signal is the original E2E messenger by Open Whisper Systems—inventor of the Signal Protocol (used by WhatsApp and Facebook Messenger, amongst others). It is open source and development is not funded by your data, but by charity.
If you’re using a third party messenger, switch to Signal and encourage your friends to do so as well. All the bells and whistles on other messengers aren’t worth your privacy.
- RIDDLE QUIET VENTURES, LLC
- 118.5 MB
- Social Networking
- Requires iOS 9.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad and iPod touch.
- English, Albanian, Arabic, Azerbaijani, Bosnian, Bulgarian, Burmese, Cambodian, Catalan, Croatian, Czech, Danish, Dutch, Estonian, Filipino, Finnish, French, Galician, German, Greek, Hebrew, Hungarian, Indonesian, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Latvian, Lithuanian, Macedonian, Norwegian Bokmål, Persian, Polish, Portuguese, Romanian, Russian, Shona, Simplified Chinese, Slovenian, Spanish, Swedish, Thai, Traditional Chinese, Turkish
- Age Rating
- Rated 12+ for the following:
- Infrequent/Mild Mature/Suggestive Themes
- Infrequent/Mild Profanity or Crude Humour
- Infrequent/Mild Medical/Treatment Information
- © Open Whisper Systems
Up to six family members will be able to use this app with Family Sharing enabled.