The Sonic game that started it all is now free-to-play and optimized for mobile devices!
Race at lightning speeds across seven classic zones as Sonic the Hedgehog. Run and spin through loop-de-loops as you collect rings and defeat enemies on your mission to save the world from the evil Dr. Eggman.
Sonic the Hedgehog joins the SEGA Forever classic games collection, a treasure trove of free SEGA console classics brought to life on mobile for the first time!
- OPTIMIZED FOR MOBILE Sonic The Hedgehog now plays in widescreen at a smooth 60FPS offering unrivalled performance and the game’s legendary soundtrack has been fully re-mastered.
- GOTTA GO FAST - Challenge yourself with an all-new Time Attack mode!
- NEW PLAYABLE CHARACTERS Play as Sonic’s friends Tails and Knuckles for the first time. Use their unique abilities to fly, climb, and glide around levels offering exciting new ways to explore.
- PLAY OFFLINE - premium users can play Sonic anytime offline
SEGA FOREVER FEATURES
- PLAY FREE
- LEADERBOARDS – compete with the world for high scores
- CONTROLLER SUPPORT: MFi compatible controllers
- GAMES RELEASED EVERY MONTH - Download them all!
- INCLUDES iOS 10 STICKER PACKS
- "Believe the hype - this is the tidiest, smoothest and most exhilarating game you'll have ever seen." [97%] - Andy Smith, SEGA Power #22 (September 1991)
- “Difficult without being frustrating, addictive without being repetitive, and altogether a joy to play.” [925/1000] - Gary Whitta, ACE #47 (August 1991)
- "One of the best Mega Drive games I've ever played" [92%] - Rich Leadbetter, Mean Machines #10 (July 1991)
- Sonic Jam contained the first release of Sonic The Hedgehog that gave Sonic his spin dash move, which returns again in this remake
- Sonic The Hedgehog was also released in arcades on SEGA's Mega-Tech and Mega Play systems
- Rabbit and armadillo characters were considered for Sonic before settling on a hedgehog design
- While "Eggman" is Dr. Robotnik's nickname in the West, he has always been known as "Eggman" in Japan
CLASSIC GAME FACTS
- First released in the US on June 23rd, 1991
- It took Yuji Naka almost a year to finish designing Green Hill Zone Act 1
- Spring Yard Zone and Scrap Brain Zone were originally called Sparkling Zone and Clock Work Zone
- Music composed by Masato Nakamura of Dreams Come True fame
- - - - -
Game apps are ad-supported and no in-app purchases are required to progress; ad-free play option available with in-app purchase.
This game may include "Interest Based Ads" (please see http://www.sega.com/mprivacy#3IBADiscolure for more information) and may collect "Precise Location Data" (please see http://www.sega.com/mprivacy#5LocationDataDisclosure for more information).
© SEGA. All rights reserved. SEGA, the SEGA logo and SONIC THE HEDGEHOG are registered trademarks or trademarks of SEGA Holdings Co., Ltd. or its affiliates.
We've been busy jumping around squashing bugs and eating chilli dogs.
Ratings and Reviews
When in doubt, go faster!
Too many ads!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I loved this game when I first downloaded it a year ago. Then it started getting a bit slow, so I deleted it and reinstalled it. I’m fine with it being a tiny bit slower than I like it, which was actually what was happening, but when I reinstalled it, it said pay for ad free. 2.00 wasn’t worth it on a game, so I played ad supported. There are about 10x as many ads as I thought there would be. I thought it would be a video here and there, about 15 seconds long, but there’s an ad pretty much every time it needs to load, and they are all 30 seconds! I am very annoyed, as the description says it was the original sonic, but the original sonic had no ads!
Can't play ad free. Help!
So, I bought this game on my iPad with the same account I am using right now. I downloaded it on my iPhone and it was fine. But, when I came back to it, it prompted me to either play the ad supported version or the ad free version. I was confused as to why it prompted me even though I payed for it previously, so naturally, is clicked on the restore purchase button. I Input my password for my Apple ID and everything (The same one I bought this game with). I waited, and I waited, and I waited. Nothing happened. Now I am forced to play the horrible ad supported version even though I paid for this app. If I have to pay for no adds with the game I PURCHASED, you can forget it.
Developer Response ,
Hi there,sorry to hear that you are having issues with restoring your purchase. The development team are aware of this issue and are currently investigating a fix for it. Please can you keep an eye out on the app store for an update the should hopefully fix this issue.
When in doubt, go faster!
- Sega America
- 165.4 MB
- Requires iOS 8.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad and iPod touch. Apple TV.
- Age Rating
- Rated 4+
- © SEGA, the SEGA logo and SONIC THE HEDGEHOG are either registered trade marks or trade marks of SEGA Holdings Co., Ltd. or its affiliates. All rights reserved.
- In-App Purchases
- Premium Upgrade $2.99
Challenge friends and check leaderboards and achievements.
Up to six family members will be able to use this app with Family Sharing enabled.