** Selected for the AppStore's 'Best of 2014' for iPad! **
* Features 10 interactive experiments, including the new additions “Earth to Mars” and “Evolution of a Star” (both available in the Stars & Planets Pack)
How does the universe work? Stephen Hawking’s Snapshots of the Universe explains the principles that control our universe through simple and fun experiments.
From one of the world’s greatest thinkers you’ll learn why:
- Planets stay in orbit around stars
- Black holes may not actually be black
- Time is not the same for everyone
- Stars cannot exist without fuel
- Travelling between planets requires the right timing
- Objects fall at different speeds
- Stars are not always where we perceive them to be
- Motion and location depend on an outside observer
- Gravity and acceleration have more in common than you think
- Our understanding of the universe has evolved over time.
Based on the work and writings of Stephen Hawking, this app teaches both adults and students the basic theories that govern our lives on Earth as well as the movement of the stars and planets. You can play and learn at the same time in each of the ten experiments included in Snapshots of the Universe:
- Spin planets in orbit with your own solar system
- Pilot a ship from Earth to Mars
- Drop objects with Galileo to learn about gravity
- Let Einstein feel some G-force in outer space
- Search for black holes in the constellation of Leo
- Form and grow your own stars
- Discover Einstein’s warped worldview
- Plus more…
Each experiment includes an interactive portion and a deeper-dive text section to help you understand the science and key theories. In addition, select experiments include video segments that provide further visual explanations.
App Support: If you experience any problems with the Snapshots of the Universe app, please e-mail us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Minor bug fixes and updates for iOS 9.
Ratings and Reviews
Unique and Useful App
I really enjoy using this app and can use it for teaching as well. Unfortunately, the new stellar evolution add-on has errors in the final masses. Even the brown dwarf exceeds several solar masses, despite starting well below one solar mass, and the error appears in multiple scenarios. Also the Earth to Mars opposition-class trajectory is impossible to complete correctly due to limitations in the interface - you can’t select the correct burn rate!
Great and stable but short lived
In my experience this is a stable app and hasn't crashed once. Great at explaining the fundamentals of physics. Very basic however and not bad for sparking an interest in basic physics. It would be nice if it had more content. The biography on Hawking was a nice touch.
This explains very well many of the mysteries of the universe. I really liked the development of the string theory like a step by step approach and then something entirely different. What will be next? Thank you.
- Penguin Random House LLC NY
- 822.5 MB
- Requires iOS 6.0 or later. Compatible with iPad.
- Age Rating
- Rated 9+ for the following:
- Infrequent/Mild Cartoon or Fantasy Violence
- Copyright © 2014 Stephen W. Hawking
- In-App Purchases
- Stars & Planets Pack $1.49
Up to six family members will be able to use this app with Family Sharing enabled.