A comprehensively featured calculator that has become a favourite among adults and high school students around the world. Designed for a wide range of users, this calculator has large colourful buttons, optional high contrast, full VoiceOver support, and unique to this calculator; the option to use speech for answers, buttons names and formulas!
** Regularly featured on "What's Hot" - Utilities
Video demo available from the support link.
- Can read answers, entered numbers and formulas aloud.
1,234.56 is spoken as "One thousand, two hundred and thirty four point five six" when UK pronunciation style is selected. US and German also available.
2 + 3 x 5^2 is spoken as "two plus three multiply five squared."
- Built in recording studio and script. Requires only 5 minutes to record a new voice. Recordings can be transferred between devices using Bluetooth.
- Two entry modes, Standard and Formula. Standard mode emulates traditional calculators. Formula mode takes care of the order of operations for you. You enter a mathematical expression, complete with operators and parentheses (brackets), tap the = button, and the expression is evaluated.
- The entire app's feature set is accessible to VoiceOver users (using standard or touch typing input styles) and Switch Control users.
- Unique to this app is an Enhanced VoiceOver Speech mode that pronounces large numbers and formula with natural language rather than one digit at a time.
- Supports entry and display of Braille on supported Bluetooth devices (thanks to assistance from the Washington State School for the Blind.)
- Numeric formatting of results: Max fraction digits (default), fixed fraction digits (useful for currency calculations), and max significant digits (useful for science and engineering lab work), plus international formatting.
- Trigonometric, hyperbolic, logarithmic, permutations, combinations, factorial, powers, roots, percent and bit-wise operations, conversion between hexadecimal and decimal, random numbers.
- Full support for fractions (simple and mixed), conversion to and from decimal, fraction reduction, and use of fractions with all operators.
- Easy access to basic calculator functions, for those who rarely use scientific operations.
- Paper log feature, designed particularly for classroom use. Calculations can be recorded with a timestamp to be viewed and emailed.
- iPads get a user interface designed to make use of the large screen area. iPhones and iPod Touches get a user interface designed for the smaller screen. This includes large, easy to read scientific buttons, accessed on a scrolling panel. All the features of the iPad version are included in the smaller design.
Looking for statistics functionality? Check out the companion Talking Statistics Calculator on the App Store.
Customisable for each level of vision:
Normal to low vision: Large, clear buttons with optional speech.
Low vision: High contrast display mode, with optional speech.
No vision / blind: VoiceOver reads the button names before they are activated and also calculation results. Entry and display on refreshable Braille devices.
Switch control accessible. Split-view and Slide-over supported.
Why record new voices?
Having your iPad, iPhone or iPod Touch talk with your own voice, or that of a friend or tutor will make the calculator sound more natural to you. The calculator will speak with the accent you are used to hearing.
How good is the sound quality of recorded voices?
Excellent: The microphone in your iPad / iPhone or iPod Touch is of very good quality, and this calculator performs digital signal processing to ensure the audio level is consistent across all recorded words.
Rebuilt with iOS 12 SDK.
Ratings and Reviews
Best Calculator for CP and Visual Impairment
My daughter’s maths results improved around 10% when her school allowed her to use this talking calculator app instead of the standard scientific calculator. * Less button pressing errors. * Easier to see. * verbal confirmation helped her to better identify calculating errors. Highly recommend this app and cudos to the creator. Keep up the good work!
Versatile, customisable, user friendly
This is a fabulous calculator app. As a support teacher, I find the high contrast display option, large buttons and clear layout are useful for those with low vision or with physical access issues. Being able to custom record a voice personalises the calculator, makes calculator based math tasks highly motivating for younger users and potentially also could be used to record numerals, etc in other languages. This scientific, fraction and formula calculator works well with voice over for non-visual access too..... A fabulous and comprehensive app.
Tons of options.
This app is making maths fun for me and my kids. It's extremely easy to use and the screen space is wisely laid out. My kids discovered they could record their own voices for the numbers and, much to their own amusement, found me struggling to understand why 5,781 was being read as "sixty bazillion million seventy-six thirty-nine and four" in my 3 year old's voice.
This is a quality app! If I'm ever getting tired of work, I just turn on my kids' number recordings and everything seems a lot more fun.
Up to six family members will be able to use this app with Family Sharing enabled.