By News Digital Media
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
Immerse yourself in vibrant and interactive daily editions of The Australian App for iPad, delivered to Newsstand every morning.
- News coverage from Australia’s leading journalists
- Easily navigate the app by browsing through stories, similar to reading a newspaper or use the menu to navigate to your favourite sections including News, World, A Plus, Business and Sport
- Enjoy The Australian’s supplements and magazines, including REVIEW, The Deal, WISH and The Weekend Australian Magazine
- Dedicated weekly industry coverage of Media, IT, Higher Education, Legal Affairs and Aviation
- Exclusive content from our international partners
- Browse a whole week of editions, including magazines, archived from the last 7 days
- Full screen photo galleries and latest videos
- Challenge yourself each day with Mind Games – play The Times and Sunday Times crosswords, Sudoku puzzles and the daily general knowledge quiz
- Offline browsing
- ‘Editors Picks’ highlights important news and commentary
- Download a full digital replica of the printed paper on your iPad
Get unlimited digital access with a Digital Subscription to The Australian + Business Spectator. Subscribe and download the App from the App Store.
Or, subscribe to the App via iTunes with a monthly subscription.
Please note: Users with devices on any iOS prior to 6.1 will not be able to access the digital replica of the printed paper.
What's New in Version 3.2.1
Magazines now appear as editions on the Start Screen
New layouts for magazine pages
Fix for screen appearing faded out after the update button is tapped
Other stability improvements and bug fixes
Absolute Rubbish, I want my subscription money back
The recent updates to the navigation in the app are absolutely the worst I have seen. It's supposed to be a newspaper app, but you can only see a page with about 5 headlines on It and can't navigate to any other pages or stories without going back to the menu. You don't even get to preview all the stories in a section unless you open one of the 5 stories on the front page, and then all you get is a menu list with truncated headlines. Think you could swipe to the next pager section, forget it. Got to go back to the menu for that. Or swipe 100 million times through every screen page of every story in that section first! Oh, and if you were thinking that the print edition would be better, well it's only marginally better. You at least get a newspaper experience as you can swipe through all the pages and scan, but if you select a story it presents plain text rather than he supposedly rich and optimised stories in the app. Pathetic!
OK, but needs categories
Putting aside the rather obvious right-wing bias to the domestic politics and commentary pieces, this is a generally decent app. You can see and swipe through articles, with accompanying pics that can be selected and viewed more closely.
What it lacks is the categories/sections of the equivalent web page. I want to look at the State Politics section, or the Legal Affairs section, but am restricted to 'The Front', 'Commentary' or 'Business'. Seeing as every article presumably has metadata categorising it, it shouldn't be much of a technical problem to allow more sections, should it?
Please, News Ltd, give us at least he same flexibility as your web page - we're paying for this, after all!
Latest version a backward step
The latest update is terrible. They don't notify of changes to the app and all support say is' they appreciate the feedback'. They removed all the summary pages and now you have to go everywhere via the menu. The story list appears on the left is 5 or 6 words at best and doesn't show the column name (eg letters to the editor) but the article words so you can't tell if it's the column you are looking for. It doesn't look like anyone who knows about readers is doing this - they should look at the SMH for tips. If the don't fix this I'm switching to SMH even though I don't want too.
Interestingly the TV ad they are running shows the previous version because they know this one is not ugood enough
- Category: News
- Updated: 06 May 2014
- Version: 3.2.1
- Size: 33.9 MB
- Language: English
- Seller: News Digital Media
- © Nationwide News Pty Limited
Compatibility: Requires iOS 5.1 or later. Compatible with iPad.
Top In-App Purchases
- The Australian iPad App$12.99
- 31 Day Subscription to The Australian$14.99
- 31 Day Subscription to The Australian$4.99
- 6 Month Subscription to The Australian$43.99