Video Physics brings automated object tracking and video analysis to iPhone, iPod touch, and iPad. Capture video of an object in motion, then tap to track automatically. Video Physics instantly creates trajectory, position, and velocity graphs for the object.
Video Physics is perfect for science students and instructors. Perform on-the-go analysis of interesting motion. Measure the velocity of a child's swing, a roller-coaster, or a car. Or, take a video of a basketball free throw shot. Video Physics will display the path of the ball and provide graphs of y vs. x as well as the x and y position and velocity as a function of time.
Features of Video Physics:
• Capture a new video using the built-in camera, choose a video from your Photo Library, or use one of our sample videos
• Track an object automatically or manually add points to the video frame
• Set the scale of the video using an object of known size
• Optionally set coordinate system location and rotation
• View graphs of trajectory and x/y position and velocity
• Export video with points
• Email the video and data for further analysis in Vernier's Logger Pro software for OS X and Windows
• Open data files directly in Vernier's Graphical Analysis app
Quotes from physics teachers:
"Just played with new Vernier video physics app on iPhone - it ROCKS! I remember the day when this would've cost thousands of dollars to do ." Mark Hines @mhines, teacher
"You should check out Vernier's Video Physics app. Students can email video analysis data to Logger Pro; very cool!!" @willkomme, physics teacher
Vernier’s Video Physics app is slick. - Ryan Bretag @ryanbretag, teacher and administrator
App Store featured: Staff Favorite, New and Noteworthy, and What's Hot!
2012 CODiE Awards Finalist - Best Educational Use of a Mobile Device
Hints for taking useful videos:
• Objects that are very different than their background (black/white) work best for automated tracking. It is also helpful to use a background with uniform color and shading. See our sample videos for examples.
• Do not move the camera. Analysis assumes the camera is fixed in position.
• The object in motion should remain approximately in a plane perpendicular to the viewing direction.
• Place an object with known dimensions, such as a meter stick, in the same plane as the motion. Use this to scale the video.
Video Physics is intended for use in science education. The video analysis done in Video Physics provides a useful technique for studying two-dimensional kinematics. You can do even more with Vernier's Graphical Analysis app for iPad, iPhone, and iPod touch or with Logger Pro software for Mac OS X and Windows.
• Restored data export to legacy Graphical GW application
• Clarified purpose of .cmbl file export
Ratings and Reviews
This app is a useful tool when conducting experiments, but doesn’t create data tables..
Update: when coupled with Vernier's Graphical Analysis app this now is, itself, a great app. It is very easy to get projectile motion data using this app and then email the data to yourself. You can then open the emailed data in the Graphical Analysis app if you have it, and easily analyse the data, including lines of best fit, equations of the lines etc.
Overall this app, coupled with the Graphical Analysis app, is great for physics students.
This App is fantastic, however it doesn't let you export the information as a csv or in any other way except what is used by their desktop software. I'm using an iPad - I don't want to have to rely on desktop software to do other analysis of the data. The graphs produced are pretty good, however if you want to determine the slope of a graph (for example to determine the acceleration due to gravity using the velocity over time graph for a falling object) you have to estimate the x and y values from the scale used in the graph. I actually put a ruler on the iPads screen to work out the scale to get reasonably accurate coordinates of the plotted points. This shouldn't be necessary! I should just be able to look at the raw data.
A lab in my pocket! Simple, cheap and effective. As a teacher of physics for many years I can now use video analysis software without breaking my budget or spending lots of time getting things to work! Love it!
- Vernier Software & Technology
- 32.6 MB
- Requires iOS 9.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone 5s, iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus, iPhone 6s, iPhone 6s Plus, iPhone SE, iPhone 7, iPhone 7 Plus, iPhone 8, iPhone 8 Plus, iPhone X, iPhone XS, iPhone XS Max, iPhone XR, iPad Air, iPad Air Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad mini 2, iPad mini 2 Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad Air 2, iPad Air 2 Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad mini 3, iPad mini 3 Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad mini 4, iPad mini 4 Wi-Fi + Cellular, 12.9-inch iPad Pro, 12.9-inch iPad Pro Wi-Fi + Cellular, 9.7-inch iPad Pro, 9.7-inch iPad Pro Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad Wi-Fi (5th generation), iPad Wi-Fi + Cellular (5th generation), 12.9-inch iPad Pro (2nd generation), 12.9-inch iPad Pro Wi‑Fi + Cellular (2nd generation), 10.5-inch iPad Pro, 10.5-inch iPad Pro Wi‑Fi + Cellular, iPad (6th generation), iPad Wi-Fi + Cellular (6th generation), iPad Pro (11-inch), iPad Pro (11-inch), iPad Pro (12.9-inch) (3rd generation), iPad Pro (12.9-inch) (3rd generation) and iPod touch (6th generation).
- English, French, German, Russian, Spanish
- Age Rating
- Rated 4+
- © 2010-2019 Vernier Software & Technology, LLC
Up to six family members will be able to use this app with Family Sharing enabled.