Featured by Apple as Best New App in 81 countries including the United States and part of App Store Permanent Collections in Education.
“This app is one of the best educational finds of my entire career.” - Forbes
“As a user myself and as a mother of a child with dyslexia, I am blown away by the features of Voice Dream.” - Quartz
“Voice Dream Reader is hailed by many as the best mobile text-to-speech (TTS) app.” - Examiner
Supported Document Formats
- PDF, Plain text, MS Word, MS PowerPoint, RTF, and Google Docs.
- Web articles.
- EPUB eBooks. (DRM-free books only. Kindle and iBooks are not supported.)
- Bookshare Books.
- DAISY text-based books and audiobook.
- Audiobooks in MP3, MP4 or zipped MP3 format.
- Rich text and image support for all documents.
- One premium Acapela voice of your choice free with the purchase of the app.
- 36 built-in iOS voices in 27 languages are also available for free.
- 200+ additional premium voices in 30 languages from Acapela, NeoSpeech and Ivona available through in-app purchases.
- Correct pronunciation with your own pronunciation dictionary.
- All voices work offline and play in the background even with the screen locked.
- Tee-up a list of articles and play while you drive, walk or run.
- Spoken word is highlighted to improve comprehension and retention.
- Auto-scrolling and full screen, distraction-free mode to help reader focus.
- Finger reading. For beginners to read by at running a finger under each word.
- Pac-Man. Harvard and MIT developed speed-reading method for everyone to read at 2x speed with no loss of comprehension.
- High contrast and large font size for low vision readers.
- Optimized for VoiceOver, Braille and switch control.
- Bookmarking, text highlighting and annotation. Highlights and notes can be exported.
- Full-text search.
- Built-in dictionary.
- Skip text in PDF header and footer.
- Native support for Dropbox, Google Drive, iCloud Drive, Pocket, Instapaper and Evernote.
- Native access to Bookshare.
- Safari extension to save Web pages and Web addresses.
- Support for Box and OneDrive via iOS Document Picker.
- Your entire library, including folders, reading locations, bookmarks and annotations are synchronized across all your devices using iCloud Drive.
It is not possible to load DRM protected ebooks. All books purchased on iBooks, Kindle and other commercial eBook platforms have DRM.
This update contains several bug fixes:
- Fixed: Cannot change sort order to ascending or descending.
- Fixed: After cancel search in library, the list doesn’t return to all.
- Fixed: Apostrophes not pronounced correctly by iOS voices.
- Fixed: Sleep timer's label doesn’t respond to taps.
Many users reported issues with iOS built-in voices after updating to iOS 12. We've tracked them down to bugs in iOS 12. Also, Siri Voices, such as Aaron, are no longer available to developers in iOS 12. We're working with Apple on these issues. Meanwhile, please use a non-iOS voice. Sorry about the inconvenience.
Ratings and Reviews
Outstanding, well designed application.
I have been a heavy user of digital document & book ‘Text to Speech’ on three platforms for many years. This application is, hands down, the king of the mountain on Apples OIS devices. I noticed a previous negative review about unnatural sounding voices. This is an entirely unfair criticism for the following reason: Yes, if you only use one of the free Apple voices, they will sound robotic & unnatural. However; This fine developer has given uses abundant choices of the very best natural voices on the market that can be purchased from within this beautiful software. For example; purchase the inexpensive voice from ‘IVONA’ called ‘Amy’ and you will be impressed indeed! Also notice that if you use a voice like ‘Amy’, the developer of ‘Voice Dream’ has given us the options of sentence and paragraph pause time adjustment. The last comment I would make; is simply a heart felt thanks for the thoughtful hard work, the coder of this app has invested in Voice Dream! I love this software!!
The cream of the crop
I've been a big user of TTS for many years, in fact, I do all my reading this way now. I've sampled virtually all the other TTS programs, and voicedream is by far the best. The quality of the voices has nothing to do with TTS developers. These voice fonts are made by third party developers, and are pretty much the same across all TTS programs. I find the better voices almost deadset realistic anyway.
1. Make the folders capable of holding other folders to make a collapsable tree. No one has done this yet.
2. Have the option of the 'play head' resetting to the beginning of an article on completion, as there are many times I want to hear an article more than once... ie when studying.
These are minor issues, not knocking voicedream off the top perch.
Love this App
Voice Dream reader is a wonderful, easy to use text to speech App. I use it everyday to read multiple types of websites and documents. I read blogs, news sites, fan fiction all very easily up loaded to Dream Voice in a single click. I have been using the App for a several months with great success. When I first started using it I had a question for the developers, they answered it promptly and thoroughly. I think I've tried every App on the market but I won't be trialling any more. Thank you Dream Voice.
- Voice Dream LLC
- 126.6 MB
- Requires iOS 10.3 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad and iPod touch.
- English, Arabic, Bulgarian, Catalan, Croatian, Czech, Danish, Dutch, Finnish, French, German, Greek, Hebrew, Hungarian, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Norwegian Bokmål, Polish, Portuguese, Romanian, Russian, Simplified Chinese, Spanish, Swedish, Turkish
- Age Rating
- Rated 4+
- © Voice Dream LLC 2018
- In-App Purchases
- Tyler (Acapela Australian English Voice) $4.49
- Lisa (Acapela Australian English Voice) $4.49
- Bridget (NeoSpeech British English Voice) $4.49
Up to six family members will be able to use this app with Family Sharing enabled.
Get things done within this app using just your voice.