Wikipedia comes to life with an infinite constellation of visual links. Browse. Discover. Bookmark. Annotate. Share.
* BROWSE: Tap any node, and it expands to give you more information. Intuitive and natural, it's a joy to use. Drag and spin the fluid display.
* DISCOVER: Find endless new topics. Expand your knowledge. Suggestions for related articles appear as a spider web of linked nodes. Explore random articles and daily featured articles.
* BOOKMARK & LABEL: Keep track of articles with bookmarks and via history. Tag articles with your own labels.
* ANNOTATE: Create notes about articles. Notes can be text, audio, images, or video. Record audio notes directly from your iPad. If you have an iPad2 or third generation iPad, record directly from your camera.
* PRESENTATIONS: Create presentations from a sequence of notes, and display a sequence of nodes alongside your notes, like a slideshow.
* SHARE: Share articles and notes via email, Twitter, DropBox, Evernote, or Safari. Print with AirPrint. Copy to clipboard.
* DETAILED VIEW: For more detail, tap any image to view full screen, or view any article in full-page mode.
* MULTILINGUAL: Top 36 Wikipedia languages. Switch easily among translations of the same article.
* PERSONALIZATION: Three type size options. Two beautiful color schemes, brown and blue.
* LEARNING: Great for classrooms! Students can explore any topic, searching and browsing to find articles. Then, students apply their own critical thinking to create their own notes and presentations to share with classmates. The app uses the SpicyNodes visualization technique, which was awarded a "best for teaching and learning" award in 2011 from American Association of School Librarians (AASL).
HEAR THE BUZZ:
* Apple featured as "New and Noteworthy" in Apple's U.S. App Store, week of April 12, 2012 and May 5, 2011; "Staff Pick" in Apple's U.S. App Store, week of May 28, 2011; and featured in other sections of iTunes for Education and Reference in many dozens of countries.
* "WikiNodes takes the huge sprawling maze of information that is Wikipedia and organizes it into a spider web of knowledge." - Phil Hornshaw, Yahoo! News & Appolicious
* "[WikiNodes]...could redefine the way that you use Wikipedia on the iOS." - Blake Grundman, 148Apps
* "WikiNodes is just so intuitive to use... You actually feel as though you are digging deeper and deeper into the information... WikiNodes is fantastic for visual learner" - Gregory Swanson, Apps in Education
* "This generation of learners have a clear preference for information that is presented visually and WikiNodes provides a wonderfully unique and imaginative interface for handling and moving through Wikipedia articles." - Sam Gliksman, iPads in Education.
* "The interface presentation of information [is] similar to that of mind mapping, which I love." - Jess Seilheimer, Digilicious
* "The interface is a freestyle drag and zoom bonanza that lets you jump between related articles easily." - iPad Apps
* "...A lively new approach to working with Wikipedia." - PatrickJ, iPad Insight
Ratings and Reviews
Interesting but conceptually limited
This app gives a visual display of the subtopics of an article. So far I have not seen that it is indeed "infinite" as claimed. Now, the structure of a typical wikipedia article is actually infinite in that it links ultimately to everything else. So the best evolution of this app would be that it showed graphically the richness of an article's links, rather than merely representing the article's limited internal structure.
Quick bites of info
Would like the "full page" view to fill up more of the iPad screen. But, not a bad app overall.
- 20.1 MB
- Requires iOS 8.0 or later. Compatible with iPad.
- English, Arabic, Bulgarian, Catalan, Chinese, Czech, Danish, Dutch, Esperanto, Finnish, French, German, Hebrew, Hindi, Hungarian, Indonesian, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Lithuanian, Malay, Norwegian, Norwegian Bokmål, Persian, Polish, Portuguese, Romanian, Russian, Serbian, Simplified Chinese, Slovak, Slovenian, Spanish, Swedish, Thai, Traditional Chinese, Turkish, Ukrainian, Vietnamese
- Age Rating
- You must be at least 17 years old to download this application.
- Infrequent/Mild Profanity or Crude Humour
- Frequent/Intense Mature/Suggestive Themes
- Infrequent/Mild Sexual Content and Nudity
- Infrequent/Mild Alcohol, Tobacco or Drug Use or References
- Infrequent/Mild Medical/Treatment Information
- © 2014 IDEA.org
Up to six family members will be able to use this app with Family Sharing enabled.