“iA Writer creates a clean, simple and distraction-free writing environment for when you really need to focus on your words.” ***** The New York Times
“iA Writer is an example of how powerful simplicity and accessibility can be.” ***** The Guardian
“iA Writer is all about textual production—writing this phrase, this sentence, this word at this moment.” ***** WIRED
4 x Best of App Store Winner
# The Simple Writing App
iA Writer removes distractions. Giving you a calm, focused, writing space, so you can express yourself clearly.
Focus Mode dims everything but the current sentence or paragraph, helping you stay in the flow.
Don’t worry about the format. First, write in plain text. Then preview in HTML.
Search, sort, and quickly swap between documents from different clouds without leaving the window.
iA Writer includes an inverted light-on-dark-mode, perfect for working day and night.
Spot superfluous adjectives, weak verbs, repetitive nouns, false conjunctions and clean your text of the usual rumble.
Customize your templates and export to WordPress or Medium, HTML, Microsoft Word (.docx), or PDF.
# 100% Text
Embed links, pictures, tables and text files in plain text and see them in preview.
# Get in Touch
- Visit ia.net/writer for more information
- Visit ia.net/writer/support for support and feedback
- Let us know what you think on Twitter @iAWriter
This update fixes a few small bugs. It includes all the great features in iA Writer 5.1:
- Write #tags to group files
- Use in Quick Search and Smart Folders
- All hashtags are shown in Organizer and Go menu
- Hide hashtags from Preview and PDFs in Templates preferences
- If you’re writing an article about a hashtag and want it to look like text, just put a backslash before the hash sign \#TalkLikeAPirateDay
# Smart Folders
- Filter your files using a variety of rules including text searches, file extensions, hashtags, parent and ancestor paths, absolute and relative dates
- Use a custom sort order
- Automatically sync across your devices
- Get automatic keyboard shortcuts in Go menu
# URL Commands
- Updated commands to create and open documents
- Added authenticated x-callback-url commands to read and write files
- Manage URL commands in General preferences
# Dark Mode on macOS Mojave
- Updated to match system look
- System light and dark state is matched by default
- Switch to manually managing state in General preferences
# Free Candy
- Added navigation controls to Library in full screen windows
- Assign custom display names to Library Locations in Organizer
- Rename Favorites in Organizer
- Duplicate items in Library
- Go > Enclosing Folder menu
- Fixed an issue where images couldn’t be dragged to Editor from Safari, Photos, and other apps
- Added STIX 2.0 fonts for math expressions in Preview
- HTML tags are dimmed in Editor
- Hide Favorites, Smart Folders, or Hashtags sections from Organizer and Go menu in Library preferences
- Improved library performance and reduced memory usage
- SVG images are always displayed as pictures when used as content blocks
- Code blocks are excluded from text stats
If you like the updates, please leave us a rating on the Mac App Store. It helps a lot.
Ratings and Reviews
Keeps getting better and better
I've recently come back to MacOS and iA Writer and have been really happy to find that what was already a great text editor has become something much more powerful. The navigation draw and more recent addition of tags and smart folders now makes managing documents and notes so much easier. Couple this with the ability to create tables and Tables of Reference, this makes iA Writer an essential markdow tool for those of us creating technical documents. All this adds up to iA Writer really surpasing similar products in this class.
That is good to hear. And, hey, we are still far from done.
I was in love with it. But, now, after using it for an academic writing I found some bugs that should be fixed. The conversion to microsoft word is problematic. the footnote system after converted does not linked. also the table of content does not navigate to the section that I click.
Another thing is when I want to edit the document while have half-width review, the progression on both display page is not the same, especially after I put footnotes. Please fix this.
A quietly powerful text editor
What I love about iA Writer is that it looks deceptively simple but is actually a very robust text editor with a lot of powerful text-manipulation features underneath a beautiful exterior.
I try to do as much writing as I can in iA Writer mainly because the experience is just so pleasant, but also because the app becomes powerful when you need it.
- Information Architects GmbH
- 8 MB
- OS X 10.11 or later, 64-bit processor
- English, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Portuguese, Simplified Chinese, Spanish, Traditional Chinese
- Age Rating
- Rated 4+
- © 2010–2018 Information Architects GmbH
Up to six family members will be able to use this app with Family Sharing enabled.