By The Beguilerie
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
A beautiful solitaire "black box" game for the iPhone and iPod Touch. This classic game of hide and seek is a puzzle where you fire rays into a grid of cells and interpret the results to locate hidden targets.
Touch and release the red "ray bays" around the edge of the grid to fire a ray. Tap in the grid to summon and drag targets to where you think they are. Tap the "Legend" button for a quick study of the ray results and their meanings.
Obscurant has been crafted with meticulous attention to detail so that it feels like a natural part of your device. It starts up rapidly and always remembers your current puzzle in its current state, making it easy to resume and ponder anytime you like. Perfect for whiling away a few minutes while standing in line, or anytime you want a quick mental workout.
Understanding the behavior of the rays can be tricky for new users, so Obscurant provides several ways to handicap one's score while making the game much easier:
- The paths of the rays can be shown during the game. You can also turn them on at the end of a normal game, in order to understand the results.
- The hidden targets can be kept off of the edges of the grid, where they often produce the most difficult results.
- The number of targets, which is normally four, can be reduced to 1, 2, or 3. (Or, increase the number to 5 for a harder game.)
- A pop-up legend is available to provide quick reminders of the game rules: tap the "Legend" button to see it. A button on the legend page links to more complete online documentation.
What's New in Version 1.1
- You can now drag targets to and from the tray. Tapping the grid to summon a target still works as before. (Tapping the tray to put a target in an empty cell no longer works, but it was more confusing than traditional dragging; both experienced players and new players should find the change an improvement.)
- The buttons and grid now have a beveled metal edge, which better matches the look of the targets and markers.