Fluid Automata 1.1
By Angus Forbes
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
*** In this version the video saving is now in real-time and let's you record indefinitely!!! Great for performances, recording, etc. Also, it saves images correctly in landscape and portrait orientation. Important: You must turn off multitasking gestures to use five-fingered zoom & pan. Double-tap the screen to bring up controls. Hook in to external monitor to bring up a control screen for live performance. Can send and receive OSC message for programmatic live performance. Thank you for the feedback, if you notice any bugs please let us know and we will fix them! ***
Fluid Automata is an interactive visual art program that lets you manipulate a fluid system that is made up of colors, a photo, or a live stream of video from your front or back camera. By using one or multiple touches you control the direction and energy of the fluids. It's highly addictive and it's easy to make beautiful visualizations with Fluid Automata. See http://www.fluidautomata.com for more information and links to a gallery.
Indra and Arlo (ages 6 and 3) like it. Watch the video here: http://vimeo.com/31309323
Featured on www.creativeapplications.net and www.onedayoneapp.com.
"love this app!!!" - Film Fr3ak
"I honestly love it. The more I play, the more curious I get." - ipadpunk.com
Fluid Automata is a Universal Binary. It has been tested on iPad 4, iPad 3, and iPad mini and also the iPhone 4S and iPhone 5 with iOS 6. It probably will *not* work that well on earlier versions of the iPad or iPhone. It may work on the iPod touch - we tested on an older iPod Touch 4 and it was a bit slow. Some functionality is disabled on the iPhone versions (because of a lack of screen space).
Remember that you can toggle the sliders/toolbar on-and-off by double tapping the screen quickly in one place. This is especially important for iPhone and iTouch users because of the limited screen size.
Some videos showing the use of Fluid Automata and a recent performance that used Fluid Automata for visuals can be found at my vimeo page: http://vimeo.com/angusforbes
- Can be used in performances (without the UI) using the screen sharing mode (by plugging into a monitor or projector)
- Save screenshots to 768x1024 photo
- Save an entire session to a video
- Use front or back camera for live video manipulation
- Load in a photo of video for photo manipulation
- Choose from a variety of colored noise textures
- Toggle the controls off for full-screen mode
- Toggle them on to fine tune the colors or the fluid dynamics
- Can use OSC messages to control Fluid Automata via remote application OR register a remote app to respond to changes in the Fluid Automata fluid vectors. An example Processing sketch is available on the website to show you how to do this.
- Lots of presets included to make it easy to explore different types of turbulence and flow with different colors
- Children will find it entertaining-- it's a good way to encourage them to be creative without making a mess
- Supports multiple touch gestures for zooming and panning
- Tar Pit (high viscosity, low saturation)
- Milky Way (high angularity, low saturation, makes nice galaxy-like structures)
- Jupiter's Moons (rich, moody color scheme)
- Cubism (low forward momentum creates abstract segmentation)
- Ice Cream Cake (complex, vibrant color scheme)
- Kaleidoscope (high angularity, fluctuating rainbow colors)
- Watercolors (complex, fine color scheme, very beautiful, can get quite turbulent)
- Nebulae (subtle florescent colors, low contrast)
- Ice Cracks (low forward momentum and low angularity makes a cool effect)
- Infrared (subtle effect, looks good on certain photographs)
- Rainbow Sherbet (looks like melting sherbet)
- Propaganda (kind of a posterizing effect, looks good on some photographs)
Check out http://www.fluidautomata.com for more screenshots videos, and other materials.
What's New in Version 1.3
Fixed some bugs, it now works perfectly on iPad on latest versions of iOS.