Teaches reading using the renowned synthetic phonics method. Children begin with learning to recognise and write their first letter sounds and end with being able to read the app's most complicated stories by themselves.
+148apps.com “there’s no denying that “PocketPhonics” is an amazing app. A universal app—it works with both iPhone and iPad—PocketPhonics teaches the basics of reading and writing to young kids. Most surprising? It seems to work.”
+Macworld app of the day "Teach your kids to write with this innovative educational iPhone app ... help young children understand letters, and start the road to reading."
+Technology in Education: “If you are working on phonics for your kids, this is the best application to have.”
+Wall Street Journal: ‘boy won't put down his mom's iPhone, where she's downloaded "PocketPhonics."’
+pragmaticmom.com: “This app feels like you have a teacher or a tutor working with your child one on one.”
PocketPhonics is split in to 12 groups of letter sounds, each group is followed by a set of storybooks that use those letter sounds, so kids read storybooks that are on the right level for them.
In the first group of letter sounds, there are six sounds to master before the child can read their first storybook. Most children aged 4+ will start to read their first storybook within 10 weeks if they use the app for 15 mins everyday.
Parents and teachers can easily monitor children’s progress online. They can see what stage the child is currently at, any letter sounds they are having difficulty with and what storybooks have been read. Teachers and parents are emailed a certificate when a child masters a skill.
Children can tap an unfamiliar word in a story, and the app will sound out the letters to help the child understand what the word says. If that’s not enough, they can tap again to hear the actual word and see a picture that illustrates its meaning.
The storybooks gradually introduce high-frequency words like “the” and “to” that follow less common spelling rules.
As the child reads a story, the child’s ability to read certain keywords in the storybooks will be tested to make sure they can read them and understand their meaning.
At the end of the story, the app tests the child on the new words in that story. Each word is spoken in turn, and the child has to select the written form of the word. Only once they are able to correctly identify all the words on this level, can they move onto the next level.
Specifically, children master the following skills:
* writing letters (more choice of handwriting styles than any other app)
* recognising 72 letter sounds (e.g. ‘ch’ are the letters that make the initial sound in ‘chat’)
* blending letter sounds together to make words (e.g ‘ch-a-t’)
* hearing a word and selecting its written form (e.g. the app says, “chat”, the child has to select ‘chat’ from a group of words)
Easy to share iPads in school. If a child uses a different iPad, they automatically continue from where they finished previously. Children can use the app at home, and continue from where they left off at school.
FREE GUIDE to teaching kids to read available through the app.
How it works
* 7-day free trial with no commitment and full access
* The $2.79 monthly and $20.99 annual subscription unlock access to all books and phonics levels for an unlimited number of children
* Once subscribed, your subscription auto-renews each month or annually. However, you can easily turn auto renew off via the Settings app
* Payment will be charged to your iTunes account at confirmation of purchase
* Subscription automatically renews unless auto-renew is turned off at least 24-hours before the end of the current period
* Cannot cancel current subscription during its subscription period
Added a new verbal instruction so the child knows when to get an adult.
Ratings and Reviews
Buy the full version
I let my 4 year old play with this app, after a few minutes she asked me, where are the rest of the alphabets? She seems like this app. I like the fact that she's doing all this by herself. So i will buy the full version.
My daughter likes it. Play & learn.
Good app it helps a lot . I wood have payd if I had to. Get this app
- Apps in My Pocket Ltd
- 759.8 MB
- Requires iOS 9.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad and iPod touch.
- Age Rating
- Rated 4+
- © 2018 Apps in My Pocket Ltd
- In-App Purchases
- Monthly subscription $1.99
Up to six family members will be able to use this app with Family Sharing enabled.