By Avatron Software, Inc.
Open the Mac App Store to buy and download apps.
Air Display for Mac lets you use a spare Mac’s screen as an extra display for your main Mac. Launch this app on your spare Mac, then wirelessly connect to it from the free host app you’ll install on your main Mac to instantly expand its screen real estate.
IMPORTANT: This is NOT the free Air Display host software that you need on your main computer. You can download that at getairdisplay.com. This is the client app that turns a Mac into a second monitor for another computer.
— FEATURES —
• Drag windows, apps, or control palettes from your main screen to give yourself more room to work
• Use up to 4 devices simultaneously to extend or mirror your computer
• Choose to run full screen or in a window
• Either extend your screen to get more room to work or mirror to share your screen with an audience
• Connect via Wi-Fi or over Ethernet
• Extremely responsive performance
• Mouse responsiveness indistinguishable from using a wired mouse
— INSTALLATION —
You’ll need the free Air Display host app (from getairdisplay.com) installed on your main Mac, and this Air Display client app running on the Mac you want to use as an extra screen.
• Purchase this app on the Mac you want to use as your second display
• On your main computer, go to getairdisplay.com and install the free host app
If you want to use your iPad or other mobile device as your second screen, you do not need to purchase this app. Air Display for iOS is available in the iTunes App Store (and you’ll still need the same free host software from getairdisplay.com on your main computer).
— COMPATIBILITY —
• Both computers must be on the same Wi-Fi network, either via Wi-Fi or Ethernet
• Mac client app: iOS 6 and above
• Mac OS X host: 10.7 and above
• The Air Display Host is not compatible with Windows
What's New in Version 2.0
• Support for up to 4 displays simultaneously
• Optimized performance and better energy usage
• Additional display resolution support
If you like Air Display for Mac, please leave a review for each update. Your comments help us prioritize future features and enhancements.
Can’t you at least tell what is also required to run on iOS?
Bought this pricey app without being told I need to run iOS 6 to install Air Display 2 on my iPad first generation.
More trouble than it’s worth.
Mirroring displays is one of the most useful tools available out there today. Great technology that can seriously enhance productivity. Unfortunately this application fails on most levels. Not only is it too slow to even be worth having two screens, the second display is extremely choppy and nearly impossibly to scroll effectively.
Don’t get too excited about having one display showing a video of some kind while you are working or writing on the other screen because it fails at that too. Displaying videos is always completely out of sync. You could disconnect one display temporarily but than when you reconnect to air display it requires adjustments to get it back to the way you want.
The developers do a good job buttering this app up but you are much better trying to spend the additional cash to get a more effective dual display connection.
If you were wondering if the quality of computers matters, it doesn’t. I am using a brand new 2.7 Ghz iMac with a 2.3 ghz macbook pro. Two exteremely expensive computers. This application is nothing but a waste of time.
Performance Unusable :-(
I was really hoping this app would allow me to use my iMac as a second display for my new MacBook. Unfortunately the performance over WiFi was unusable even with no additional network traffic.
The mouse stutters so much i could barely click on anything. This is with regular apps, something like video or animation would be completly out of the question. Even with no apps open, moving the mouse around is super jumpy and glitchy and I have a very fast high end wifi router. I don’t have this issue with VNC or other connections over my WiFi, this is specific to this application.
I liked the iPad version, but was very dissapointed in the OS X version.
I DO hope they continue to improve this app, because the idea is fantastic.
- Category: Utilities
- Updated: Dec 10, 2013
- Version: 2.0
- Size: 4.0 MB
- Languages: English, Dutch, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Portuguese, Russian, Simplified Chinese, Spanish, Swedish
- Seller: Avatron Software, Inc.
- © 2011-2014 Avatron Software, Inc.
Compatibility: OS X 10.6.3 or later