From the makers of "SPQR" - the App Store's most advanced app for Latin students and teachers - comes an unmissable addition to every Greek scholar's iPhone and iPad! This app combines a searchable copy of the LSJ with a huge library of works in Greek and English to make the ultimate app for Greek students and teachers everywhere.
*** TEACHERS: You can save 50% off the price of Ancient Greek by using Apple's App Store Volume Purchase Program for education - visit http://www.romansgohome.com/education for more information ***
Here are just some of the features:
- Full, fast and searchable copy of the Liddell, Scott & Jones Greek-English lexicon - it searches all 116,000 definitions as you type, showing either short definitions or full definitions along with citations.
- Search in Beta Code, natural language or using the Greek keyboard - or enable reverse search to turn the LSJ into an elementary English-to-Greek lexicon, backed up by all the copious referencing and detailed usages that the LSJ offers.
- Full copies of classic texts in their original Greek, grouped either by author or genre, including:
- The Iliad and the Odyssey (English copies included!)
- Economics, Metaphysics, Politics, and Rhetoric by Aristotle (English copies included!)
- Laws and The Republic by Plato (English copies included!)
- The Histories by Herodotus (English copy included!)
- Agamemnon, Prometheus Bound, Seven Against Thebes, The Eumenides, The Libation Bearers, The Persians and The Suppliants by Aeschylus (English copies included!)
- Ajax, Antigone, Electra, Oedipus at Colonus, Oedipus the King, Philoctetes and The Trachiniae by Sophocles
- Anabasis, Cyropaedia, Hellenica and Memorabilia by Xenophon
- Plus Aristophanes, Euclid, Euripides, Hesiod and more!
* INSTANT TRANSLATION *
- Many works were broken up by their authors into small sections, and we've used that to present to you for the first time ever section-by-section Greek to English translations. That means you can be reading Herodotus's original Greek descriptions of the Persian empire, then tap a button and jump to an English translation exactly where you left off.
- All those texts above marked as having an English translation make use of this instant translation feature - it's really cool to use, and you can flip back and forwards as often as you want, allowing you to check your translation as you read.
- Finally you can dive into Greek texts without fear, and without splashing out on expensive Loeb Classics books.
- Plus: if you see a Greek word you're not sure about, tap on it to perform a quick look up in the dictionary.
- Many works include a "word cloud" that show you all the top words in that book according to their frequency - it's a beautiful way to explore a book's themes at a glance.
- Ancient Greek also includes dozens of timeless quotes from the classical thinkers - just tap to see more!
Updated to support iOS 11.
Ratings and Reviews
I love how the dictionary is integrated with the texts, very useful for translation and good selection of texts, great app.
I use this app all the time
I use this app for the complete searchable LSJ, and inside the dictionary, I use it for the reverse English-Greek lookup. This feature alone makes it worth the price. A caution to the user - it won't give you EVERY word in the dictionary that could possibly be translated by your term in English; it only looks for the first English translation of each word. Still, this is invaluable, and this is the only app I've found that has this function.
A minor but persistent irritant: the final sigma, which should look like this - ς - is shown in this app as identical to an interstitial sigma - σ . Minor, but it gets to me. I'd give this app 5 stars otherwise. However, it's still highly usable, and useful, and presumably this will be corrected in a future release.
Up to six family members will be able to use this app with Family Sharing enabled.