Go out in nature, walk new trails, and come home safely! Use Root & Branch’s maps of trails, elevation, and other natural features to plan your hike and avoid getting lost while you’re out there. In case of misadventure, Root & Branch can notify an emergency contact of your hiking route and last known position.
HIKING TRAIL MAPS
– Details like trail difficulty, elevation, and viewpoints are great for planning your hike or improvising a different route
– Offline maps let you use the app without a cell signal by downloading map regions before your hike.
– Includes more than 4 million hiking and walking trails around the world
– Updated weekly with the latest trail changes contributed by a global community of mappers
Before starting your hike, you can choose an emergency contact and how long you expect to be hiking. Most likely, you’ll simply have a great hike and end up with a record of your path that you can share with friends or export as a GPX file. But if you do happen to get unexpectedly injured or caught in changing weather and stay out beyond your plan, your emergency contact will receive an email with your route and last known position. Even if you’re outside of cell service, the notification will still be sent and will include your path up to the point where you lost service.
Note: Continued use of GPS running in the background can dramatically decrease battery life.
Updated for iOS 12 and new iPhone models!
Ratings and Reviews
Vague trail and this app
Did a snowshoe trek today with others who vaguely knew the area. No snowshoe tracks around or marked trail. Just a snowmobile track. This app was a key in knowing where we were and how much climbing was coming up and when we would be decending. We were out at least an hour longer than expected as well as much colder and sweatier than expected. This app was great for motivation. I started it about 2km in when the questions started... how far.. where are we... etc.
What I love: offline regions, contour lines, simple design. Haven't tried the tracking and safety notification yet.
Suggestion: a way to access recent trail reports and images. Maybe accessing tagged photos from Instagram.
Good hiking map
Works exactly what I am looking for. The map is fast to load and shows a lot of details for hiking trails. If there is a search function I would definitely give 5 stars
- Pathym Corp.
- 58.3 MB
- Health & Fitness
- Requires iOS 9.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad and iPod touch.
- Age Rating
- Rated 4+
- This app may use your location even when it isn't open, which can decrease battery life.
- © 2018 Pathym Corp.
Up to six family members will be able to use this app with Family Sharing enabled.