CARRY A LIBRARY IN YOUR POCKET
Access more than 100,000 books, magazines, and music scores in audio and braille formats, with new selections added daily.
HOW DO I GET STARTED?
To download books using this app, you must first apply for service from your local braille and talking-book library. You can find which library in the NLS network serves you by visiting www.loc.gov/nls/find.html or calling 1-800-NLS-READ. Your library can discuss eligibility with you and walk you through the application process.
If you are already registered for service with your local braille and talking-book library but do not have a BARD account, simply contact your library and request a user name and password.
WHO IS ELIGIBLE?
BARD Mobile is a service of the National Library Service for the Blind and Physically Handicapped (NLS), Library of Congress. NLS provides free audio and braille reading materials to residents of the United States and American citizens living abroad who cannot read regular print books. If you are blind, low-vision, or have a physical disability that makes it difficult for you to hold or turn the pages of a book, you may be eligible for this program. For more information on eligibility, visit www.loc.gov/nls/about/eligibility-for-nls-services.
WHAT EQUIPMENT DO I NEED?
Audio materials downloaded from BARD can be played directly on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch. To read braille materials, you will need to connect a refreshable braille display to your device using Bluetooth.
Fixes a problem with braille reflow at some page boundaries and a bug that would cause the app to freeze when loading the bookshelf.
- Adds “My previous downloads” and “Most popular books” to Get Books
- Browse magazines by title
- Braille reflow (lines of braille break to match your display length)
- Beep-free mode
- VoiceOver actions added to bookshelf items
- Dynamic sleep timer (matches the jump-by level)
- Adheres to system-wide type size setting (Dynamic Type)
- Total reading time or number of braille volumes added to summary listings
- Automatically reloads next 50 items as you scroll (no more tapping “Load more”)
- Error message refinements
- Double-tap gesture to reset speed/tone
...along with bug fixes, stability improvements, and performance enhancements.
Up to six family members will be able to use this app with Family Sharing enabled.