Bitdefender Virus Scanner
By Bitdefender SRL
Open the Mac App Store to buy and download apps.
Bitdefender Virus Scanner finds Mac malware as well as Windows viruses with ease.
Scan running apps, scan critical locations, scan a specific location or scan the entire system, the award-winning Bitdefender engines will find that malware. For free!
Don't put your friends and family at risk by unknowingly passing malware along.
- sports full award-winning Bitdefender engines;
- finds Mac malware as well as Windows viruses and other threats etc.;
- always updated before a scan to the latest virus signatures. Bitdefender virus signatures get updated every hour;
- quick scan! Fast scan system areas that are prone to infections;
- searches for malware even in archives, various other file types. i.e. pdf, pkg, zip, rar etc.;
- Growl notifications;
- easy-to-use interface;
- straight-forward security status and recommendations;
- quarantines dangerous files;
- deep system scan;
- detects the latest MAC.OSX.Trojan.Flashback;
- scans running applications and daemons;
- scans a custom location. tip: try scanning by drag and drop;
- exclude files and folders from scan (i.e. Time Machine backups, network shares etc.);
What's New in Version 2.21
Fixes a bug which could cause the unresolved items view not to be listed in certain conditions.
Fixes some cosmetic issues which appeared on latest OS X version, 10.8 Mountain Lion
it will find things that others leave behind BUT
Be aware, this is only a 32 bit program. Hopefully a 64 bit version is coming soon.
At Least I Think it is great Stuff
Was sidetracked many years with Windows PC's and Viruses, Backddoor stuff and all the problems that go with a Registry (don't have one now!).
Spent an inordinate amount of time downloading security software multi times a time and still got hacked.
So after that sojurn decided to come back to Mac where I started and hopefully have a neasier time of it.
I believe I have but the lure of this product simply to confirm that my Macs were clean got the better of me.
I have a fast iMac with an SSD and max RAM. So donwloaded the progam and the definitions. To run the critcal areas took about 2 minutes and then I did all contents of the 2 HDD's the SSD and the spinner - took 14 minutes.
Then I made a mistake - I did entire system which of course includes all my backups - so an hour and 40 minutes later everything was done and pronounced clean! and I knew it was.
It does each of the backups for everyday so unless you find you have some nasty stuff on your Mac skip the backup. If you have nasty stuff you have to do the backup becasue the nasty stuff will have been backed up.
Product did not hang, or freeze and ran quickly compared to say Norton Internet Security on a PC. Same contents but NO Registry and no dll's.
If you don't have a fairly current Intel Processor (quad core helps but duo is fine) and 8 GB of ram it likely won't run as fast as mine becasue the bottleneck is always the spinng HDD. The SSD speeds things up by a factor or 100.
I have to conclude this is a very good product and for the price excellent! I recommend it but then I Private Browse and have all the security set up based on my PC days.
Give it a fair try - it deserves a chance!
The "Scan Critical Locations" will run quickly, but the "Scan Entire System" does not finish and crashes.
The app is very easy to use, but doesn't seem to work properly. If fixed, it would be a good app.
- Category: Utilities
- Updated: Aug 24, 2012
- Version: 2.21
- Size: 126 MB
- Language: English
- Seller: Bitdefender SRL
- © 1997-2012 Bitdefender. All Rights Reserved.
Compatibility: OS X 10.6.6 or later