Important News! The Bugs & Drugs Project has heard your feedback and is developing a new app that will include a number of changes to improve your overall Bugs & Drugs experience. The new app will only be available via a yearly subscription model. The current app you have installed will continue to function, but will no longer receive further content updates at some point in 2019. We will let you know when the new version of the Bugs & Drugs app is available and when the current version of the Bugs & Drugs app will stop being updated. At that time, you will be invited to download the new Bugs & Drugs app for the latest updates. We look forward to releasing the new version of the Bugs & Drugs app!
Bugs & Drugs is a comprehensive, evidence-based reference for physicians, dentists, pharmacists, nurse practitioners and other health care practitioners. .
Bugs & Drugs provides practitioners with the latest recommendations for the appropriate use of antimicrobials and the optimal treatment and prevention of infectious diseases. It is also a key component of antimicrobial stewardship efforts. This reference can optimize patient outcomes and minimize the unintended consequences of antimicrobial use, including: toxicity, superinfections, resistance and unnecessary treatment costs.
Bugs & Drugs is divided into six sections:
2. Treatment recommendations for infections in children and adults (including selected ophthalmic, fungal, and parasitic infections),
3. Recommendations for the prevention of infections,
4. Treatment and prophylaxis of dental infections,
5. Use of antibiotics in pregnancy/lactation, and
The Bugs & Drugs app is well suited for healthcare practitioners looking for an evidence based mobile reference and provides therapeutic options in a clear, concise manner.
Once installed, you do not need internet access to utilize the content. Internet access is only required for initial installation of the app and to receive updates.
The content was prepared by Dr. Edith Blondel-Hill (Medical Microbiologist/Infectious Diseases Specialist, Kelowna General Hospital) and Ms. Susan Fryters (Antimicrobial Utilization/Infectious Diseases Pharmacist, Alberta Health Services) with the help of over 40 reviewers with expertise in infectious diseases, microbiology, pharmacy, and Public Health. Design and implementation of the app was provided by Saint Street and Resonant Apps.
1. Update of vertebral osteomyelitis (VO), Adult Recommended Empiric Therapy (RET) and addition of culture-directed section for VO
2. Update of retropharyngeal abscess and complicated AOM, Pediatric RET
3. Update of newborn conjunctivitis, Ophthalmic Infections
4. Addition of ceftobiprole to dosing tables and Spectrum of Activity
5. Addition of link to IDSA/AGM microbiology utilization guide in Organisms section
Ratings and Reviews
Surprisingly comprehensive, even including drug costs. A lot of work went in to making this. Highly recommended.
I like bugs and drugs
I have never written an app review but am motivated to do so now.
My employer previously subscribed to the full online bugs and drugs but I found the full content overwhelming when I needed under pressure.
I recently found this app and am seriously impressed with the ease of use. I find it easy and handy.
awesome app, can't live without it in ED (or in the office)
- Alberta Health Services
- 61.3 MB
Requires iOS 10.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad and iPod touch.
- Age Rating
- You must be at least 17 years old to download this application.
- Frequent/Intense Medical/Treatment Information
- © Alberta Health Services
Up to six family members will be able to use this app with Family Sharing enabled.