"It’s kind of like the Garage Band of coding." – Wired
"Codea for iPad is a super slick way to write and run programs on your iPad." – Gizmodo
Codea lets you create games and simulations — or just about any visual idea you have. Turn your thoughts into interactive creations that make use of iPad features like Multi-Touch and the accelerometer.
We think Codea is the most beautiful code editor you'll use, and it's easy. Codea is designed to let you touch your code. Want to change a color, or an image? Tapping will bring up visual editors that let you choose exactly what you want.
Codea is built on the Lua programming language. A simple, elegant language that doesn't rely too much on symbols — a perfect match for iPad.
Here's how you use it: type your code. Press play to watch it run. Interact with it. Get creative.
• A fully featured 2D and 3D renderer
• Lots of great example projects to learn from, including games
• Touch your code: tap colors, images and sounds to adjust them
• Export your finished projects to Xcode to produce real apps
• Complete in-line reference documentation accessible from keyboard
• Intelligent syntax highlighting and auto-completing code editor
• Import your own assets from Dropbox
• Full 2D and 3D physics engines for complex motion
• Add parameters so you can tweak variables at runtime
• Interact with accelerometer and multi-touch on your device
• Generate retro-game sound effects
• GLSL Shader Language support with live shader editor
• Bluetooth keyboard support and keyboard shortcuts
• Air Code: code live from your PC using WiFi
• Much, much more
• Join the forums at http://codea.io/talk to ask questions, share ideas and get help when you need it
• If you would like to help translate Codea into your language please join the translation effort at http://translate.twolivesleft.com
• If you need help or wish to get in contact with us, please use the support link on this page
We're back with more Codea!
- Complete re-write of the project browser
- Finally, support for split-view and slide-over on your iPad
- Supports the newest devices and screen sizes
- Craft supports even more 3D model formats
- New mic library to sample your device microphone frequency and amplitude
- Codea now supports shaders from our upcoming app, Shade
- Too many to count. Uncountable
- Probably countable but we won't do it
Ratings and Reviews
Makes programming on iPad fun!
This is probably the most enjoyable programming experience I’ve ever had, best part is the OpenGL shader playground. Only thing missing is Bluetooth LE support. Worth the money!
Thank you! We're seriously expanding the shader playground aspect in our new app, while we continue to build Codea and make it the best it can be.
Worse coding language
If you have even the worst computer in the world, use python over this pathetic language that calls itself easy to use. Very impractical, not logical and weird, do not buy this app. Use python. Please.
Sorry you didn't like Lua. Python is actually quite a similar language (un-typed, dynamic) but follows a different syntax. I hope you found something more to your taste.
Rookie/wannabe programmer excited to learn. Already had fun playing with this app, now on to learning and making my first game. The examples alone are worth the cost. Very cool. Great idea too. Nice stuff team.
- Two Lives Left
- 153.3 MB
- Requires iOS 10.3 or later. Compatible with iPad.
- English, Catalan, Dutch, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Portuguese, Russian, Simplified Chinese, Slovak, Spanish
- Age Rating
- Rated 4+
- © 2017 Two Lives Left
Up to six family members will be able to use this app with Family Sharing enabled.