"… the definitive source for puzzles for iOS…" -- the New York Times
Download and play crossword puzzles right on your iPad, iPhone or iPod touch. Each day many newspapers provide their crossword puzzles online; with one tap you can download and solve them, get hints, view clues, and track how quickly you're improving!
The #1 Crossword Player on iPad, iPhone and iPod touch just got even better!
• New: Sync your puzzles with Crosswords for Mac; Start a puzzle on your Mac, then finish it on your iPhone or iPad.
• Get new puzzles every day
• Touch and hold a square to view hints on iPad
• Enter Numbers and other special characters by holding down keys
• One tap downloads all of today's puzzles
• Nearly unlimited puzzles from many different sites
• US and UK Cryptic puzzles available
• Hints, Websites, and Clue lookups
• Enter answers in 'ink' or 'pencil'
• Quickly see your recently played, or sort by date or provider
• Detailed info on each puzzle
• Post your solve times online and compare with other solvers
• Grab older puzzles with a tap
• Tap the clue list with two fingers to adjust the font size (iPad only)
Included Puzzle Sources:
• Brendan Emmett Quigley's Weekly Puzzle
• Inkwell Crossword
• Chronicle of Higher Education
• King Features Crosswords (Joseph, Sheffer, and Premier)
• Andy Kravis, Cruciverbist at Law
• Glutton for Pun
• MacNamara’s Band
• Murchie’s Monday Fills
• Neville Fogarty
• Puzzle Express
• The Stickler Weekly
• World of Crosswords
Premium Crosswords subscription required:
• Matt Gaffney’s Crossword Contest
• American Values Crossword
• Crooked Crosswords
• Additional puzzles downloadable via the Puzzle Browser; browse the web and download more!
Providers list subject to change. Some providers may no longer be publishing, but may still have older puzzles available in Archive form, accessible via the "Download Older Puzzles" option.
• For support, please visit our website at http://www.standalone.com •
• You can tap on the clue text at the bottom of the screen to toggle across & down
• Rotate the screen to see both the puzzle and clues
• Touch for a moment then drag to precisely select a square.
• Touch the Plus to download older puzzles
Please note that Crosswords requires an internet connection to download puzzles. Syncing puzzles to your Mac requires the purchase of Crosswords from the Mac App Store. Multiplayer requires iOS 6.0 or later.
- fixed a selection issue when showing errors inverted
Ratings and Reviews
Solid app for crossword lovers
I tested both Crosswords and 2 Across in their free versions before choosing this one and appreciated having that option from the developers. I liked the interface of Crosswords much better and found it easier to use. The problem with any crossword app is that there's a lot of information to deal with in a small amount of space, and I think the developer of Crosswords has struck a good balance between showing the clues and showing the puzzle itself. I really like the "Clues" view, which shows just a list of the clues and the letters you have filled in for each; sometimes seeing the clue and the letters in a different visual context is all I need to be able to figure it out. Crosswords makes it easy to download puzzles from many different sources.
Excellent, not perfect
Generally excellent. One very annoying problem: the mechanism used to enter more than one letter in a single square (used often in the NYT puzzles) is absolutely terrible. Please change this and it would be 5 stars.
Terrific app, use it every day.
- Stand Alone, Inc.
- 29.7 MB
- Requires iOS 8.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad and iPod touch.
- English, French, Spanish
- Age Rating
- Rated 4+
- © 2008-18 Stand Alone, Inc.
- In-App Purchases
- Dell Magazine #1 $2.79
- Jonesin' Crosswords $3.99
- Brendan Emmett Quigley's Favorites, Vol. 1 $3.99
Challenge friends and check leaderboards and achievements.
Up to six family members will be able to use this app with Family Sharing enabled.