FM4 is a four operator FM synthesizer for iPad.
- Reached rank #1 in the app store top paid music category in 32 countries, including United States, Canada, UK, Germany, France, Brazil, Italy, Russia, Australia, and India.
- Four operators configurable in eight different routings
- Three sound engines modelled on 1980s hardware units
- Eight waveforms derived from classic FM synths
- 2x, 3x, and 4x polyphonic unison
- Tempo-syncable arpeggiator with up, down, up-down, and random patterns
- Microtuning with eight different temperaments
- Inter-App Audio
- Supports Audiobus 2
- MIDI over bluetooth
- Up to 24 voices of polyphony
- Presets can be imported/exported through iTunes
Modelled on the popular DX series from the 1980s FM4 provides the same gritty sound, with a modern interface, and without being bound by the limitations of the original units.
Every aspect of the hardware — from envelope curves to sine-table sizes and quantisation errors to digital-to-analogue converters — has been meticulously analysed, in order to recreate the raw and dirty sound of the original units.
The interface has been carefully thought-out and is simple and intuitive, yet powerful — with every parameter being available on a single page. No menus, tabs, or jumping from page to page.
FM4 is capable of producing a multitude of sounds, ranging from punchy basses, crystal-clear bells, and lush pads, to organic textures, striking drums, and piercing leads.
All product names used are trademarks of their respective owners, and reference to these here in no way constitutes an association or affiliation with Primal Audio. All trademarks are solely used to identify the products whose sound was studied during the development of FM4.
- Fixed bug in iOS 9 where the operator buttons would disappear.
- Minor bug corrections.
Disclaimer: The are some problems with the locations of popovers in iOS 9.0. We are waiting for Apple to look into this.
Ratings and Reviews
Update with surprise improvements coming?
It's fine as is, but it's been a while now.
That clean fm sound. I love the organic sort of tech wobbelies and that shimmer flop stuff. Been a fan of fm synth sound since having the first pc sound card, the adlib. This sits so well with thor and magellan in cubasis. The three play so well together in terms of audio spectrum and just performance, cpu etc. a nice dependanble program with new discoveries all the time
Up to six family members will be able to use this app with Family Sharing enabled.