LCBO On The Go
By Liquor Control Board of Ontario
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
Over half a million downloads to date!
One of the top Lifestyle Apps in Canada!
Discover the world of beverage alcohol with LCBO On The Go – the official iPhone app from the LCBO. Search our entire selection of wines, spirits and beers and find product inventory at a store near you. In this version, learn about our new wine styles that describe any wine in our selection. Once you know yours, wine shopping is a snap. This free app is compatible with iPhone, iPod touch and iPad and allows you to:
• Browse or search thousands of LCBO or VINTAGES products by keyword or item number
• Discover new wines based on wines you already enjoy
• Use our Store Locator to find stores by city, postal code or find the closest LCBO nearest you using the GPS of your device
• Mark your favourite products and stores for quick access to store hours, location details and product inventory
• Find product inventory levels in our entire store network, your favourite store or closest store
• Get detailed product information including tasting notes and serving suggestions
• Share products with friends by e-mail
What's New in Version 2.5
• Wine details now include style, sweetness descriptor and varietal information.
Good for searching
The app works well if you are looking for wine, stores, hours, inventory, etc. I waste less time driving from store to store looking for my favorites.
If you want to manage a wine list, using their favorites option, it is very basic, and buggy. You can't categorize or sort or arrange your list. When you add a favorite the app places it randomly. While deleting from favorites, it will show duplicate and triplicate listings of the next wine on the list. If you delete them, you are not deleting duplicates, but hidden wine listings. Poor performance, bad design.
Bar code scan not working.
This function suddenly stopped working months ago. This app hasn't been updated in a year. Seriously, for a multi billion dollar company, you need to do better. This is embarrassing for you. Typical government run enterprise.
Could be so much more!
So frustrating when an app that could be extremely useful is awkward and uninspiring. If the developers are listening:
1. Make a "wish list" in addition to a favourites list
2. The favourites/wish list should also clearly indicate the product's availability in your current location, rather than having to stand in the lcbo and tap through one bottle at a time to see if it's there
3. Allow users to rate and comment on products to create a social element
4. Make favourites list sharable over email or Facebook so that we can share our lists
5. Make searching more "smart", i.e. correct spelling mistakes, include more search terms (esp. for wines with long complex names)
6. Complete the image collection to create a nicer looking, more coherent look