NavAtlas U.S. & Canada
By Dual Electronics Corp.
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
NavAtlas is a turn-by-turn, voice guided GPS navigation solution for iPod touch with text-to-speech (TTS) technology. NavAtlas, together with Dual’s GPS Navigation & Battery Cradle, turns any iPod touch into a fully-featured GPS navigator for in-car and handheld use.
IMPORTANT: This app works exclusively with XGPS300 GPS Navigation & Battery Cradle for iPod touch. NavAtlas will not work with other models of the GPS Cradle from Dual Electronics. The Cradle does not work with the iPhone.
If you have an iPod touch, and don’t want to miss out on all the great location-based apps, including turn-by-turn navigation, the Cradle is for you. It is the only complete, truly portable GPS navigation solution for iPod touch, featuring a built-in GPS Receiver, Rechargeable Battery, Amplified Speaker, and a Windshield Mount. It is ideal for in-car or handheld use - like biking, hiking or exploring a city on foot. In addition to the included NavAtlas navigation app, the Cradle provides GPS coordinates to most other location-based apps. Visit GPSCradle.dualav.com for more information on app compatibility.
The NavAtlas app has all of the features commonly found in GPS navigation devices. The latest U.S. and Canada maps from Navteq™ are built-in, so there is no need for a Wi-Fi connection. There is no subscription fee - the app is free for use with the Cradle.
- Real-time, turn-by-turn voice guidance to your destination
- Spoken street names using Text-to-Speech (TTS) technology
- Navigate directly to an address stored in Contacts on the iPod
- Navigate to a point on the map - touch anywhere on the map and the app will display the address of the location you have selected. You also have the option to navigate to this spot - this is especially useful when you know the approximate location of your destination but not the address.
- Play music on the iPod when navigating - music is automatically muted when directions are being spoken.
- Realistic 3D views of major urban intersections and highway junctions
- Portrait and Landscape modes
- Over 2 million of the most popular POIs, including restaurants, gas stations, hotels, tourist attractions, parks, hospitals, stores, businesses, ATMs, parking lots and many more.
- Create personalized lists of POIs – edit names of POIs or add notes (such as hours of operation) and save in “My POIs”.
- Features the latest U.S. and Canada maps from Navteq™ including Alaska, Hawaii and Puerto Rico
- Maps are built-in - no Wi-Fi connection required
- Flexible Trip Planning - enables you to select multiple destinations for one trip and to preview the routing among them all. Ideal when making numerous stops during one trip.
- Displays Favorites and POI icons - your favorite destinations and POIs are shown on the map.
- Day/Night Mode - switches between day & night map colors automatically
- iPhone-style interface - “pinch" the screen to zoom in and out, touch and drag the map to move, tap a button to bring current location back to center screen, etc.
- No subscription fee
- U.S. (including Alaska, Hawaii, Puerto Rico)
- Compatible only with iPod touch
- Requires iPhone OS 3.0 or later
- Requires the GPS Navigation & Battery Cradle for iPod touch (model XGPS300) from Dual Electronics.
What's New in Version 1.0.2
Version 1.0.2 includes minor bug fixes.
Requirements and Compatibilities
This app is not for use with the iPhone or iPad as these devices do not support the Dual XGPS300 Cradle. The iPhone and iPad should be removed from the requirements list on this iTunes page. It is for use with the iPod touch only when equipped with the Dual XGPS Cradle.
Does not work with iOS 4: please fix!
In order to use the app it must detect the XGPS unit and since upgrading to iOS4 the app refuses to run because it claims that the unit is not connected. Since developers have had copies of iOS4 for a while this does not bode well for the level of support for this app. In fact they should really either bundle a 'free' voucher for the app with the XGPS unit or remove the cost of the app from the XGPS and charge for the app separately. This way there would be no need for the app to have to check for the unit and refuse to run, especially since it is sometimes useful to be able to look at the map without my iPod plugged into the unit.
It appears they do listen extremely well to feedback here. Those who have purchased an XGPS unit should go to the Dual website for details of how to contact them for their solution. While the app still does not work with iOS4 they have an acceptable solution to the problem for customers.
It's not the worst GPS apps but it's a little lacking. It's very rare that the "Best" route is actually the best route. More often then not I find myself taking my own route or using a different GPS app. Also, the description talks about the ability to play your Ipod music while using the app but it leaves out the part where there are no music controls inside the app. If you want to listen to music you have to set it up before loading the program and if you want to change songs you have to use the double home option to bring up music controls. One more thing, although this is more about the XGPS itself. You HAVE to install this GPS app. Other GPS apps will work like advertised but they leave out a small detail about the app containing interface software that allows the unit to work at all. This means that even if you want to pay for a better GPS app you still have to have this installed with it wasting 2G of space. Needs a little work. Looking forward to many future updates.
- Category: Navigation
- Updated: Mar 13, 2010
- Version: 1.0.2
- Size: 2.12 GB
- Languages: English, French, German, Italian, Portuguese, Russian, Spanish
- Seller: Dual Electronics Corp.
- © 2009 Dual Electronics Corp.
Compatibility: Requires iOS 3.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.