NewsTap (Usenet Newsreader)
By Alexander Clauss
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
NewsTap is a powerful Usenet Newsreader for the iPad, iPhone and the iPod Touch.
- Optimized for offline usage, so you can read and write news articles without an internet connection
- It's easy and simple to subscribe, manage and read news groups.
- Filters (also known as "Killfile") can automatically mark articles as read or mark them with a certain color.
- The application fully supports the portrait and landscape mode.
- Support for binary groups (photos and other files). Photos and pictures can be displayed directly. It's possible to add photos into the photo album or open them in other Apps.
- Quotes are displayed in different colors. Colors are also used to distinguish between read and unread articles, filtered articles.
- Hyperlinks are automatically detected and can be opened in a web browser.
- Optimized article layout for the small iPhone display. The original article layout is also available.
- Navigate within the articles from within the thread view or simply by flipping to the next/previous article with your finger.
- A graphical „tree view“ visualizes a complete discussion and makes it super-easy to follow and participate discussions.
- It's possible to hide articles that are already read and to hide quotes.
- Sync the read/unread states of the articles using a „newsrc“ file with other usenet client. The sync can be done via SFTP, WebDAV, Dropbox and iCloud.
- Post new articles or send followups.
- Build-in help, which explains all the application features.
For more screenshots please look at the developers web site.
What's New in Version 5.1
- On the iPad there's a new setting "2-column navigation" available. When enabled the navigation within the threads and articles will no longer use three columns (groups, threads, articles) but instead two (groups, and another where either the thread or the articles are shown). Especially when using the iPad in portrait orientation, this makes sure that the columns won't get too narrow.
- There are a few new filter options available. It is now possible to create a filter that marks all articles written by the user, and there's a new filter type available which marks all replies to the articles of the user (including replies to these replies - which means the whole subthread)
- ROT13 is now also available when writing a new article. This option is available in the "quotes" menu after selecting some text within the article editor window.
- Articles where the line breaks are encoded in the wrong way where not formatted correctly.
- Bugfix: when creating new articles on the iPad using the icon at the left, the articles were never sent.
- Bugfix: navigating across thread boundaries did not always work with certain sort orders.
- Bugfix: automatically deleting read articles while connecting to the server could also close the currently displayed article.
- Bugfix: if a new server was added by importing a newsrc file, the grups list for this server could be loded more than once
- Bugfix: several smaller fixes in the user interface
- Bugfix: better handling of "unusual" server responses
Connects and downloads only rarely and incompletley
One of the worst apps I've ever bought.
- Category: News
- Updated: Oct 16, 2015
- Version: 5.1
- Size: 3.9 MB
- Languages: English, German
- Seller: Alexander Clauss
- © 2015 Alexander Clauss
Compatibility: Requires iOS 7.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.