Paris After Marville
By Peter Sramek
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
Explore the Paris of Haussmann and Napoleon III in photographs by Charles Marville. Compare how the sites look today as documented by Peter Sramek. Use historical maps to discover how streets have changed over 150 years. Connect to a live map to locate yourself when in Paris.
- Photographs of 183 locations;
- Offline, detailed images licensed from Agence Roger Viollet, the Musée Carnavalet and the Bibliothèque Historique de la Ville de Paris;
- Detailed maps from 1835, 1868, 1900 and 2015;
- Street sounds and audio commentaries by Parisians speaking about their city;
- Street index, museum catalogue information and notes about the photographic collection of Charles Marville;
- In-app link to a live locating map when connected to WiFi showing image locations and usable in Paris for navigation;
- English and French texts/ textes en français et anglais.
Note: Please be patient with the initial download of high resolution image files. Once the application is loaded, you will only need a WiFi connection to use the live map window, all content will already be loaded.
What's New in Version 2.0.1
Version 2.0.1 makes a few minor adjustments. Version 2.0, itself, reveals a new graphic layout with highly improved map images and zoomable text. Formatting now also works with iPhone 7, 6 and previous models, making it easy to access the app while walking in Paris. Obviously, larger screens will provide a better viewing experience, but the screens on iPhone 6 and up are brilliant. Independence from a datalink continues to allow for a rich image experience without the wait times and remote download expenses. Pre-download the Paris map in the GMaps app and let your GPS show you where you are in relation to the photographs.