“…a powerful music utility that is perfect for getting reacquainted with your favorite tunes.” — John Voorhees, MacStories.net
Featured in Macworld’s “Alternatives to Apple’s iOS Music app”, Picky is for people particular about their music, giving you full control over how you browse and listen to your albums and songs.
‣ Picky keeps your Artists and Albums lists uncluttered by hiding those with only a few songs – simply adjust the filters to taste.
‣ Queue up tracks to play later: simply swipe to the left on a song until the ‘+’ icon appears and turns solid orange, then let go to enqueue it.
‣ Use Picklists to quickly play (or enqueue) groups of songs – like playing an album without its bonus tracks.
‣ Picky lets you easily filter your Songs and Albums lists by genre (or by multiple genres). You can do things like quickly put together a mix by opening the filter, tapping on a few genres, and then closing it and tapping Shuffle.
‣ Easily sort the main Albums list or artists’ album lists with just a couple taps: by title, release date, duration, or by date added to your library.
‣ You can use the Artists and Songs filters to keep singles and one-hit-wonders tucked away, or bring them into focus when you really want to listen to them.
‣ Picky intelligently combines both grouping by artist and by album artist, so you'll always find your songs where you expect them to be. But if you prefer just one of the groupings, you can easily change that with a setting.
‣ Quickly see the list of your currently playing songs by simply swiping up in the Now Playing view.
‣ Picky is designed for iOS 12 and works with AirPlay 2, in-line headphone remotes, Split View, Control Center, 3D Touch, VoiceOver, iTunes Match, and Apple Music that has been added to your collection. You can use Picky exclusively or seamlessly switch between it and the system Music app.
Picky: for listeners with refined taste.
‣ Picky now always opens up to the last tab you were on (Artists, Albums, Songs, or Playlists).
‣ Album detail screens now show total times in hours and minutes, and Playlist detail screens now show total times too.
‣ Picky now supports AirPlay 2, including an updated menu for choosing your audio destination and support for multiple AirPlay speakers at once.
‣ Queuing up large numbers of songs is now much smoother, the Now Playing queue is now properly updated when shuffling songs, and it won’t show up filled with untitled tracks when returning from the background. Unfortunately due to system limitations I’ve also had to remove the ability to remove tracks from the queue.
‣ Optimizations for the newest iPad Pro screen sizes.
‣ Loading improvements and bug fixes.
Ratings and Reviews
The app is great just takes a while to go from song to song
Developer Response ,
Hi Joey_sitch, glad you’re enjoying it! By taking a while when going from song to song do you mean the app freezes up? Happy to discuss further by email (email@example.com) to help diagnose the problem 🙂.
Love this app
Smooth simple interface. Wish I could use it to create. Name, and save playlists. But great as a player and a quick way to picklist.
Developer Response ,
Glad to hear you’re so happy with Picky! Playlist creation is definitely on my radar, but probably not for a while… I’ll keep that in mind though 🙂
Find entire ripped CDs on the “digital shelf”
This app is a mixed bag: it has one killer key feature i have never found elsewhere (filter artists by number of songs); however it lacks search capability which renders it useless for most day to day use where one wants to find specific songs among thousands in the collection (especially if you dont renember exact artist or song title).
This app has one key feature for old school guys like me who want to find and play entire albums or CD’s in their music collection, but you want to scan the collection to decide what to listen to:
It offers the digital equivalent of scanning through the milk crate of albums or shelf of CD’s: by filtering artists by the number of songs, I can separate the entire CD’s I have ripped from the thousands of one hit wonders in my collection, to find the old favourite that hits my mood from the shortlist.
I use this app only for this due to absence of search. Otherwise (regrettably) i use the terrible (but searchable) ios Music app.
Developer Response ,
Hi Buddy9765, I hear you on that… search is my top priority for the next big update, so soon Picky should fill that filterable search void for you (and hopefully be a 5-star app in your eyes).
Thanks for the feedback,
Up to six family members will be able to use this app with Family Sharing enabled.