A complete regular expression development tool meant for novices and professionals alike, this editor has many features designed to help in the development and storage of regular expressions. Based on the PCRE library, RegExRX will allow a user to craft patterns that are compatible with most regular expression flavors and will let them easily copy those patterns to other languages like Objective-C, Perl, Ruby, PHP and Xojo.
Some features include:
- Search and Replace modes.
- Color-coded tokens in both the "search" and "replace" patterns.
- Live matching against source text. Live replace too, where applicable.
- Insert menus with almost every acceptable token and a description of what they do, including constructs for various groupings, conditionals, lookarounds, and POSIX expressions.
- A "Match List" that shows all matches, with subexpressions and group names, and represents invisible characters like a space or return with their token equivalents ("\s" or "\r").
- A Templates menu for oft-used patterns. Save As Template from the File menu, or download free samples from our website directly into the Templates folder.
- Export the Match List to a text file, Excel, or FileMaker Pro XML.
- Save the Replaced Text to a text file.
- Stats on both the source text and replaced text so you can tell exactly where you are and what characters are represented at all times. Helps avoid errors caused by invisible characters.
- Linked scrolling among the source text, the replaced text and the Match List.
- Support for Unicode tokens, verbs, and subroutines.
- Save regular expressions in documents for reuse.
- Open as many windows as desired.
- Multiple levels of undo and redo.
- Link your sample source text to a file for easy reloading.
- Support for free-spacing mode.
- Full Unicode support, including a chart of all Unicode characters.
- A fluid interface that lets you resize each panel freely.
We also provides several ready-to-use sample regular expressions in a separate, free download. These samples include finding e-mail addresses, validating dates, removing duplicate lines, and more, and are available at our web site. (Check the Help menu to download directly through RegExRX.)
- Otherwise-invisible characters will always be entered as their equivalent codes (like "\xNN") in the pattern fields.
- Optimized colorization of curly brackets.
- Updated PCRE to 8.3.3.
- Raised subgroup limit from 16 to 100.
- Specifying too many subgroups in the search pattern will now report an error.
- Copy As 4D Code (French) wasn't being properly disabled if there was no pattern to copy.
- Added customized contextual menu.
- Added Objective-C as Copy target.
- Replace tokens menu now show group names next to subexpression.
- Fixed typo in Insert Search menu.
- Fixed bug in "Paste Special" where "Escape Brackets" wouldn't do anything.
- Fixed bug where option-space, -return, -tab would not enter corresponding code into pattern.
- Fixed bug where user would be unable to enter extended characters like "¨" (or "^" on some international keyboards).
- Fixed bug where a conditional would throw off subsequent group names.
- Fixed bug where opening multiple documents at the same time may fail to properly colorize source text in one of them.
Ratings and Reviews
I like how you can view the values of hidden characters by moving the curser over text. I also like how it dynamically shows what gets matched as you type out the regular expression pattern. Also love how it shows the groups in a drop down so you know that you captured what you wanted to.
My go-to tool!
I love that I can check out my regexps dynamically, before stuffing them into a Perl script or a BBEdit macro.
Unlike some of the reviewers, I do not find the GUI to be a problem. But then, I'm used to writing sed(1) scripts on the Unix command line, so ANYTHING is a vast improvement!
Greta little app to build RegEx expressions. I am not an expert but I find regular expressions quite useful once you come up with the right expression. I process html code or plain ASCII tables or whatever I have to transform with BBEdit. RegExRX helps me a lot to develop the regex expressions.
Up to six family members will be able to use this app with Family Sharing enabled.