Shake-a-Phrase is a fun language app for creative writing prompts, vocabulary, and parts of speech practice. Perfect for learning and laughing in the classroom or on-the-go, it features over 2,000 words and definitions in 5 engaging themes for ages 8+.
- Featured in Everything Mom's "Best Educational Apps For Kids"
"I couldn’t stop pressing the next button to see what silly sentence was in store for me next!" - I Education Apps Review
"My middle school students love Shake-a-Phrase. Thanks so much for making it.” – Speech Language Neighborhood
"This handy little app is perfect for writers, party games and quizzing kids" – App Advice
3 WAYS TO SHAKE UP LANGUAGE LEARNING
• SHAKE IT: creates a new random sentence every time you shake - great for discovering new words. Not sure what a word means? Just tap for definitions!
• STORY STARTER: shake up the beginning of a story and let your imagination take over.
• QUIZ ME: test your skills with adjectives, verbs, nouns, prepositions and conjunctions. Tap on the right words to get points and gain levels.
The addictive language fun in Shake-a-Phrase will encourage children to:
• Read the silly, entertaining sentences
• Discover the meanings of unfamiliar words
• Create their own writing projects
• Test their knowledge of verbs, adjectives, nouns, prepositions and conjunctions
• Share language arts fun with friends and family
- 2,000+ age-appropriate vocabulary words, compiled by teachers and parents
- Designed for iPhone and iPad – a universal app
- Story Starter prompts suitable for classroom projects
- 5 colorful, inspiring content themes: Sports, Animals, Fairytale, Monsters and Starter
- Customizable Quiz game tests your knowledge of nouns, adjectives, verbs, prepositions and conjunctions, in any combination you select
- Correct and incorrect answers are easy to see
- Correct quiz answers are rewarded with an audible ping and bonus icons as the levels increase – no penalty for wrong answers
- Save the most hilarious sentences to your Faves library
- Copy your favorite wacky sentences to the clipboard to share with friends
MADE BY EDUCATIONAL GAME DESIGNERS
The game designers at Artgig Apps come from a background of educational software development and we put lots of TLC into every detail of each app we crete to ensure a fun and engaging learning experience. We include kids, parents and teachers in our app development and testing to make sure our apps are exceptional tools that kids want to use again and again.
We welcome your comments, suggestions and feedback.
Video Demo: www.shakeaphrase.com
For more about using Shake-a-Phrase in the classroom:
Thanks for trying Shake-a-Phrase!
For more Artgig Apps and demo videos: www.artgigapps.com
We at Artgig Apps are parents ourselves, and we hold your privacy and the privacy of your child in the highest regard.
We comply with the Children's Online Privacy Protection Act (COPPA).
- Does not share your personal information with us or anyone else.
- Does not include ads, or in-app purchases.
- Includes feedback links and links to the Artgig Apps website within the app.
- Uses analytics to collect anonymized user data for general information about how people use our apps.
iOS 8 Compatibility
Ratings and Reviews
A Very Versatile Tool for Language Arts
What We Liked:
Once you have Shake-A-Phrase loaded on your device it is immediately evident HOW many ways this can be used in your homeschool language arts studies. This isn’t a hand-it-to-your-child-and-leave kind of app – though they might want to play with it for fun on their own, but its greatest educational benefits will be found when used as a tool in the hands of a homeschooling parent.
It can be used for vocabulary studies – just shake up random sentences and let your students tap around on words they are unfamiliar with. We read these sentences together and my daughter would ask, “Hey, what does this word mean?” and voila – we tapped it and knew!
After you’ve taught a specific part of speech (verb, noun, or adjective), you can test for comprehension and identification of that part of speech singly or in combination (love this flexibility) using the quiz mode. And if you need wacky story starters you can get them here in spades and in whichever theme most interests your child.
Shake-A-Phrase also has a great design – it’s easy to use and get around in and has some cute visual elements that go along with each theme. Excellent performance on both our iPod and iPad.
What We Didn’t Like:
I would really appreciate it if this app was set up for multiple-users. My daughter started selecting many, many sentences as her favorites – like crazy, she just thought they were so funny! If I had multiple students from grade 3-6 I’d want them all to have their own favorites list.
I’d also like it if you could stop the quiz at some point and save your place. As it is if you leave quiz mode you have to start again at the beginning – I’ve never made it to the end in a single sitting (and it actually doesn’t seem that the levels increase in difficulty – there are just more sentences given in each level).
Shake-A-Phrase is an incredibly useful language arts app that appeals perfectly to that well-known, zany, third-grade sense of humor. With just a bit of imagination it can be used to reinforce a wide range of language arts skills while making it a fun, playful experience for both parents and children.
I downloaded a copy of this app when it was available to the public for free. (Hurrah!)
Excellent for guided writing
I will use this with my guided writing groups definitely. Great app and free too!
Up to six family members will be able to use this app with Family Sharing enabled.