A new way to experience classical music. Esa-Pekka Salonen conducts the world-renowned Philharmonia Orchestra, performing extracts from eight works representing three centuries of symphonic music.
• An orchestra at your command: Experience classical music like never before with fascinating features, including video, synchronized score, simplified score and commentary by Esa-Pekka Salonen.
• Expert explanations: World-class musicians explain their role in the orchestra and demonstrate how their instruments work. Use a keyboard to play samples of the instruments, and view each one in glorious detail with 360° rotations.
• Discover the BeatMap: This groundbreaking visualization of the performances shows different sections of the orchestra pulse in time with the music, helping you understand the complexity of each piece. Hold down your finger to hear different sections of the orchestra in isolation.
• Unparalleled access: Watch beautiful multi-camera video of the acclaimed Philharmonia Orchestra, and switch effortlessly between different angles and sections of the orchestra.
• Discover the story: Read insightful text on the pieces, composers and instruments specially written by Mark Swed, music critic of the LA Times.
• Haydn: Symphony No 6
• Beethoven: Symphony No 5
• Berlioz: Symphony Fantastique
• Debussy: Prélude à l’après midi d’un faune
• Mahler: Symphony No 6
• Stravinsky: The Firebird
• Lutosławski: Concerto for Orchestra
• Salonen: Violin Concerto
If you enjoy The Orchestra, don’t forget to rate it and leave a review – it really helps!
Optimisations for iOS 12
Ratings and Reviews
Awesome Learning Tool
This is a great way to learn about orchestral instruments, track the score as it's played and really get a feel for how the songs are put together.
There's a $0.99 in-app purchase which unlocks the ability to hear individual instruments by themselves while playing the pieces. To correct the other reviewer: This one in-app purchase unlocks ALL the songs. I suspect this was implemented this way since iTunes has a 2GB size limit, with the $0.99 covers the additional bandwidth cost to download the extra 600 or so megabytes of the individual tracks.
The app already costs 13.99. It contains 8 orchestral pieces, but in only one can you control hearing a particular instrument playing at a particular time. In the 7 other pieces you need to make an in-app purchase to activate this feature. A RIP OFF
There is not a great deal of content here, which is surprising given the 2 gb size. There are extracts from 8 works. The extracts are brief, about 6 minutes each.
But it is impressive. As the piece plays you can turn on and off commentaries and follow the score or choose a camera angle.
The reviewer who complained about the in app purchase was unfair. The play alone feature is not essential to the app and besides it only costs a buck to unlock all.
The down side to the app is it makes you want so much more. I want a full piece of music done the way of the excerpt. That is now available for Beethoven's ninth by the same developer.
In-App PurchasesSee All
- Amphio Limited
- 2 GB
- Requires iOS 9.0 or later. Compatible with iPad.
- English, French, German, Japanese, Simplified Chinese
- Age Rating
- Rated 4+
- © Classical Apps Limited
- In-App Purchases
- Solo Audio $1.39
Up to six family members will be able to use this app with Family Sharing enabled.