The Unarchiver is a small and easy to use program that can unarchive many different kinds of archive files. It will open common formats such as Zip, RAR (including v5), 7-zip, Tar, Gzip and Bzip2. It will also open many older formats, such as StuffIt, DiskDoubler, LZH, ARJ and ARC. It will even open other kinds of files, like ISO and BIN disc images, some Windows .EXE installers. The list is actually much longer - see the program homepage for the full list.
The Unarchiver also tries to detect and correctly handle the filename encoding in the archives it opens, allowing you to open files from every part of the world without getting garbled filenames.
The Unarchiver aims to be the only unarchiving program you will ever need, and to stay out of your way.
Also, if you need to open archives on your iPad or iPhone, look for "Archives" on the App Store, or go to https://theunarchiver.com/archives. It is based on The Unarchiver, and lets you easily handle Archives on iOS!
The Unarchiver goes dark. We adopted the new Mojave Dark Mode so your archive management could become much more stylish.
• Extraction speed for most archives is now much better
• The Unarchiver is not going to confuse separate archives with similar names and multipart archives anymore
• Direct warc.gz extraction is now supported along with a fix for some specific warc archives. Thanks, tsudoko
• Some specific 7-Zip archives are now handled correctly. Thanks @pavel_urusov
• RAR self-extracting archives are now handled correctly
• Large zip files extraction problem fixed
• Italian localization fixed
Ratings and Reviews
I got this to handle one specific type of archive file. Instead, it took over handling a whole bunch of archive file types. They provide a configuration screen that is essentially useless. It lists all of the kinds of files that it handles, with checkboxes beside them. But when I tried to clear the checkbox beside “Zip Archive”, it popped up a message giving me some ridiculous instructions about going to Finder and changing file associations. Instead, I found an easier solution - uninstall.
It’s very simple and lightweight, yet very powerful. Great app.
Using it for many years, great so far!
I can’t even remember how long I’ve been using this app, but it’s been a great help for many, many years - thank you MacPaw/devs!
- MacPaw Inc.
- 13.3 MB
- OS X 10.7 or later, 64-bit processor
- English, Arabic, Bulgarian, Czech, Dutch, French, German, Hungarian, Italian, Japanese, Latvian, Norwegian Bokmål, Polish, Portuguese, Russian, Simplified Chinese, Spanish, Swedish, Turkish, Ukrainian
- Age Rating
- Rated 4+
- © 2011-2019 MacPaw Inc.
Up to six family members will be able to use this app with Family Sharing enabled.