Top Hat helps professors make teaching more fun and effective by turning distracting mobile devices into learning tools and building comprehension with customizable, affordable textbooks and interactive homework.
Millions of students at 750 leading North American colleges and universities use Top Hat’s interactive engagement tools, course materials and homework.
“Students already have their phones in their hands, they are probably looking at them in class, so why not turn that into something useful.“ —Professor, Biology, California State University
• Experience your lecture like never before—with Top Hat, you can synchronously view slides on your mobile device, in real time, as your professor moves through them in class
• Get ready for an engaging classroom experience, where instructors embed multiple question types such as multiple choice, word answer, numeric response, sorting, and click-on-image to make lectures more interesting and fun
• Discussions and polling—provide instant feedback to your instructor on whether they need to cover that last concept once more before moving on
• Automated attendance, grading, and participation—check into class using a unique code on your mobile device to pick up easy participation marks
• Complete homework for grades or for review—students can access graded and nongraded homework or short quizzes that instructors use to test for gaps in understanding
• More affordable textbook options—with Top Hat's Marketplace, your instructor can choose to adopt online course materials that are more engaging, interactive and affordable than traditional textbooks. Interactive textbooks from Top Hat are embedded with images, videos, audio clips, moving timelines and embedded questions—all designed to engage students and help deepen understanding of course concepts
91% of Instructors believe that Top Hat makes a positive impact on their students' learning experience.
Thank you for using Top Hat! To make our app better for you, we bring regular updates to the App Store. Here are a couple of new updates to note:
• Improved classroom layout
• Added some improvements to error handling
• Improved question timer layout
• General bug fixes and improvements
Ratings and Reviews
Not worth paying for
I have to use this app for my class right now...so many technical problems. Right now, PDFs from my prof aren’t appearing in the mobile app. The grading function is inaccurate/misleading for students. Also, if during class you have to toggle between lecture material and some other area of the app, the app won’t return you to the lecture slide you last flipped to—it sends you back to the beginning of the lecture slides, and you have to quickly scroll through and try to find the last slide you were on. In a lecture with 20+ slides, flipping through is really frustrating and time-consuming. The lecture slideshow on the mobile app doesn’t allow you to download the lecture. Can’t believe I had to pay for this. The app can’t do such basic, intuitive things. It’s not made to function in a university setting. Never again.
Useless app, I subscribed for 1 term and this app told me my account expired in less than a month. Now I can't even take my attendance, SMS doesn't find my phone number either. I don't care about that $30 but 10% attendance weights too much!!
4 stars ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ app, but can't reply to discussion on iPhone
Can't reply to discussion on iPhone
Up to six family members will be able to use this app with Family Sharing enabled.