TrueDoF-Pro Depth of Field Calculator
By George Douvos
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
TrueDoF-Pro represents a major step forward in management of depth of field. Specifically designed for professional photographers and cinematographers, the app offers the advanced depth of field calculations unique to the TrueDoF range of apps, and adds the features, versatility, customisability and no-fuss ease of use to make it the ideal tool for the working professional — a tool that simply does its job and gets out of the way.
A key TrueDoF feature is that the algorithm for calculating depth of field can include the effects of diffraction. This gives a MUCH MORE ACCURATE indication of how sharp the image will be (see the article "Image Sharpness vs Aperture" at www.georgedouvos.com for info on this). Not comfortable with this diffraction business? No problem—simply deselect the feature and instead use the app as a traditional depth of field calculator. You'll retain all the fabulous ease of use features!
A partial list of features:
* An elegant, interactive, easy to read interface
* Super-fast, no-fuss input, and real-time output
* Inclusion or exclusion of the effects of diffraction in the calculation of image sharpness
* An optional indication of maximum achievable depth of field and of the aperture that results in that maximum (available if the diffraction option is ON)
* Numerical distance readouts integrated with the analog distance scale
* Customisability of numerical readouts (show, hide, display front and rear DoF as distances or %)
* User-definable focal length presets for the focal length scroll wheel's rapid selection buttons, for even faster selection of focal lengths
* Support for all formats up to 10x8in
* Two hyperfocal functions, and associated hyperfocal modes
* Three user-selectable distance scales
* Distance units are changed directly on the main screen by tapping the m / ft button
* An optional "distance snap" function, to make the distance slider even easier to use
* Optional input of focus distance via keypad
* Two user-selectable aperture scales (one reading to f/64)
* Aperture slider snap to half or third stops (user selectable)
* Display of your chosen blur spot diameter (circle of confusion) on the main screen
* The facility to specify wavelength, an indispensable feature when shooting in the infrared or ultraviolet parts of the spectrum (not available on iPhone 4)
* A visual indication on the main screen of wavelength (not available on iPhone 4)
* Info (help) buttons
* Designed for use in cinematography as well as photography
A note on intended use:
TrueDoF-Pro is designed for professionals (or enthusiasts, for that matter) who want an accurate, versatile and easy way to calculate the depth of field produced by their chosen camera settings.
In some situations, however, (e.g. landscape and architectural photography) it is best to work quite differently: Compose your shot, specifying the distances to the nearest and furthest objects that you wish to appear sharp in your shot and, from that, have an app determine the camera settings (focus distance and aperture) that will give you the SHARPEST POSSIBLE IMAGE. For that, there is only one app: OptimumCS-Pro, the unique optimum camera settings calculator (this is NOT simply a depth of field calculator that "works backwards"). Available on the App Store.
And if, in your landscape and architectural photography, you would like to achieve insanely huge depth of field, with astonishing image sharpness, try the FocusStacker app. Now it's remarkably easy to achieve consistently excellent results when using the focus stacking technique. Available on the App Store.
What's New in Version 4.0
Completely rewritten, with a cleaner, more up-to-date look, and a more interactive feel.
The list of improvements is a long one:
• You now have the option to include or exclude the effects of diffraction in the calculation of image sharpness.
• Support for large format cameras has been added.
• A second, unique hyperlocal function has been added. You'll wonder how you ever worked without this.
• The analog distance scale and the numerical distance readouts are now nicely integrated.
• Numerical readouts are customisable (show, hide, display front and rear DoF as distances or %).
• Distance units are changed directly on the main screen by tapping the m / ft button.
• Your chosen blur spot diameter (circle of confusion) is displayed on the main screen.
• An optional "distance snap" function has been added, to make the distance slider even easier to use.
• The Settings screen has been simplified (but presents more options).
• The complex options for setting your image sharpness criterion have been removed in favour of simply setting blur spot diameter (circle of confusion).
• Several info (help) buttons have been added.
And there are lots of other, smaller improvements.
Oh, and there's a new icon, and the file size is much smaller.
And if you like this app, check out OptimumCS-Pro and FocusStacker, both newly updated!
Customers Also Bought
- Category: Photo & Video
- Updated: Aug 23, 2016
- Version: 4.0
- Size: 1.4 MB
- Language: English
- Seller: George Douvos
- © 2016 George Douvos
Compatibility: Requires iOS 8.2 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.