By Marko Radakovic
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
Weather App that's as much fun to use as it is to look at
Miles away from a typical clinical look, Uncharted Weather has the style and spirit that are tribute to Uncharted game series, and uses visuals from the game to present weather conditions.
Despite the playful visual style, there has been no compromise made on speed and usability. This is one of the fastest apps of its kind, serving the most up to date weather information from anywhere in the world.
Here's what makes Uncharted Weather stand out:
• Icon Badge shows the most current temperature. The badge will update even while the app is closed.
• Very fast weather updates, usually a second or less on a good 3G connection. Always up to date weather from anywhere in the world.
• Multiple info pages available. Just tap on weather info to cycle through them.
• Weather Warnings and additional data available for locations in USA, Canada and Europe.
• ‘Feels Like’ is clearly displayed front and center, when it's different from the measured temperature.
• A novel Live Wind Direction feature shows the direction wind is coming from, regardless of where you're facing. Never again have to guess if the wind will blow into your face as you prepare to walk down the street.
• Countdown Day Count can be displayed on the Icon Badge. The Day Countdown badge will update for up to 7 days, even if the app is never started during that time.
• Playful interface with animated rain, snow and lightning, all running at smooth 60 frames/second on most devices.
• Environment Canada service is used for weather conditions in Canada, providing the most current data available.
• Quick, swipe based settings screen. Find your location using GPS, or by typing your Zip Code, Postal Code, City name, or City and Country in the search field.
• Selectable countdown date, so you can see the time left to any important event. No need for countdown? Just tap on it, and it will be replaced by weather info.
I will improve the app with any good suggestions. If you enjoy using it, please review it.
What's New in Version 3.2
- App can now display temperatures on the badge, even when they go into negative. They will still be shown as a positive number, so -10 degrees will show up as number 10. This is unfortunately the only way it can be done, but should still be useful during the cold winter times for Celsius measurements. Feature can be enabled/disabled using the ± button in the settings panel.
- Bug fixes that should eliminate the app crashes caused by background operation for badge temperature updates.