The Vancouver Art Gallery, the largest art museum in western Canada, was founded in 1931 and is a not-for-profit organization.
The Gallery has a permanent collection of over 11,000 objects, which includes an unsurpassed collection of work by Emily Carr, one of Canada’s most important artists.
The Gallery is situated in the heart of Vancouver, in a heritage building that was designed by the architect Francis Rattenbury and retrofitted by Arthur Erickson in the 1980s in order to become an art museum.
It has 42,000 square feet of exhibition space on four floors and receives well over 200,000 visitors annually. The Gallery presents an ambitious program of exhibitions, engaging public programs and award-winning publications.
Enhance your experience of current exhibitions through the Vancouver Art Gallery’s Audio Guide app. This guide offers audio commentary developed by curators, artists, writers, designers and educators, about works of art in select exhibitions.
A WiFi connection is available while using the application inside the Gallery’s exhibition space.
- Audio guide tours that provide commentary on key artworks and lead visitors through select exhibitions
- Photographic documentation and descriptions of key artworks in the audio guide
- Customized favourites list that allows you to save works
- Floor plans that provide maps of select exhibitions
- Information about current exhibitions
- Special events listing with information on upcoming public programs
- Details about the Gallery’s membership program
- Visitor information that includes details on location, hours and contacts
Quiz images added
Ratings and Reviews
Mostly a duplication of the website
I hoped to use the download within the app for audio for the Monet exhibition. All I got was soundscapes (music and other sounds) which didn't add as much value as narrative would have. In addition, at such a popular show the gallery is so noisy you can't hear the soundscape.
Strongly suggest that the developers include audio or links to audio files about the artists and their works.
Crashes on splash screen
App displays splash screen and crashes on iPad 3 running iOS 5.1
Out of date
Doesn't appear to include current exhibition information. Still has the Douglas Coupland exhibit as current, and it ended about six months ago.
- Vancouver Art Gallery Association, The
- 30.8 MB
- Requires iOS 8.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad and iPod touch.
- English, French
- Age Rating
- Rated 12+ for the following:
- Infrequent/Mild Sexual Content and Nudity
- Infrequent/Mild Mature/Suggestive Themes
- © 2014 Vancouver Art Gallery
Up to six family members will be able to use this app with Family Sharing enabled.