FEATURES that make WordBook stand out from other dictionary apps:
- Professionally recorded pronunciation for every single entry
- Word origin information (Etymologies)
- Built-in spell checker with pop-up spelling suggestions
- User's bookmark and note management
- Unmatched sounds-like and wild card search and a powerful word puzzle solver
WordBook is a comprehensive, quick and intuitive dictionary and thesaurus of the English language. It's a great combination of comprehensive contents and fast intuitive interface.
* 150,000 entries with more than 220,000 definitions, 70,000 usage samples
* 23,000 root word origins (etymologies)
* 120,000 pronunciation guides in International Phonetic Alphabet (IPA) and other notations
* Spoken pronunciations (for all entries)
* Built-in thesaurus and word links connecting words semantically
* Unmatched index, wildcard, anagram search capabilities
* Bookmark (with user's notes) and history management
* Words of the Day: you get to learn new words daily, shake the device for new random words
* Browser-like definition content navigation, ability to tap on any word in the content to look up its definition
* Extending up to 5 web dictionaries to supplement built-in contents
* High resolution graphics for Retina display
* "Mobile dictionary and thesaurus at my fingertips. Lightning fast. The random words of the day are a terrific bonus" - Dane Cook, The Daily
* “the best in the [inexpensive dictionary] category... This wealth of information is indispensable to the student, and even fun to use” - Jeff Phillips, Macworld
* “One of 15 Best Apps for English Majors” - April Lentini, CollegeTimes.us
* “None measure up to WordBook” Score: 10/10 - Michael Alexander, AppCraver.com
* “WordBook leads the parade of free and low-cost dictionary options” - Ben Boychuk, MacWorld.com
* “WordBook dictionary - the standard for reference apps” Rating: 5/5 - Steven Yaccino, appolicious.com
- WordBook does not required an internet connection except to view web dictionaries or to play online pronunciation voices.
- WordBook includes entries of both American/British spellings. Definitions are written in American English.
- Supports iOS 11 and iPhone X
Ratings and Reviews
I wanted an app for so long that can tell me meaning and more importantly pronunciation. This app is just perfect. Tells me meaning offline, though you need Internet connection for pronunciations audio download. But that is understandable. Works great.
great UI... ~95% find rate
Really like the look and feel of the application. Pleasure to use (when it works.) About 5% of the time, though, words I look up aren’t there.
I know what you might be thinking — maybe I’m just inventing words — if so let me assure you, I’m very careful about my spelling and grammar (and about sources and books I read.) So my own error probably accounts for 2% or so of cases at most.
Should’t a leading dictionary application (especially a paid one), that harnesses the seemingly infinite (but bounded) ocean of information that is the internet, just have *basically all the words* in a given language? (My trusty old Oxford hardcover still gives a better find rate.) Maybe you can work with Google (more) or something?
Garth Snyder, developer from Toronto, Canada
Love this app - I turn to it often.
- TranCreative Software
- 28.8 MB
- Requires iOS 7.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad and iPod touch.
- Age Rating
- Rated 9+ for the following:
- Infrequent/Mild Profanity or Crude Humour
- © 2017 TranCreative LLC
Up to six family members will be able to use this app with Family Sharing enabled.